quality speakers that don't break the bank

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ZachNie, Feb 16, 2005.

1. ZachNie

ZachNie Auditioning

Hi all. I'm in the process of finishing my basement. In my living area, I want to prewire for speakers for my surround sound system. I've been looking for good quality speakers that don't break the bank. I would like to use in-wall speakers for the surround speakers and floor standing for the front speakers. The reason I prefer this is due to the design of the room. My basement will basically be one big open room ('L' shaped), but the living area is approximately 14x10. If you were standing in the front where the entertainment center will be, the right wall is approximately 26' in length to the back of the house, and the left wall is approximately 15' in length and then angles outward to the rest of the basement. Obviously, the width is 14', but the depth is roughly 10', because I will have a half wall with a bar on the other side separating the room from the "play" area. The in wall speakers I thought would be good, because I won't have speakers sticking out halfway down the wall. I also like the floor standing speakers, because the design of the front wall with the entertainment center. Also, I would utilize these speakers for radio/cd use also. So with all that said , what are some good quality speakers that I should get?

Also, I've heard people talk about building a subfloor out of 2x4s and plywood in the entertainment area for better sound. Right now, my plans are to just install padding and carpet over the concrete, but if sound quality increases with the subfloor, then I'd like to do that as I'm still at the stage where I can do it.

Thanks in advance for all your input! [​IMG]

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You'll need to give a better difinition of your speaker budget as "break the bank" means different things to different people.

About the subfloor. You'd get better sound quality spending that additional money on better speakers than on the subfloor. The benefits of a subfloor are debatable, but usually people do that so they can feel the bass more due to the vibrations in the floor which don't occur nearly as much in the concrete.

Like I said, give us a rough price range for speakers (and include if it is for just speakers, or does it include the budget for the sub and/or receiver).

3. ZachNie

ZachNie Auditioning

I really don't have an overall budget, but I would like to avoid spending over $300 on a floor speaker. As for the in-wall speakers, I've seen them run from $80 to $300 for a set. I don't really want to spend over $200 for them. I also would need a center channel speaker, nothing really over $300. As of right now, I have a Sony receiver that is a couple years old that I would like to utilize for a couple more years. I can't remember the model number off hand, as I'd have to check when I get home (str875????).

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Check out the Klipsch Synergy series for that price range. You can find them at BestBuy. They also have an in-wall speaker set within the same series so all your speakers can match. I wouldn't go with their sub though. Depending on your budget for a sub look at SVS (PB10), Hsu, or the little Dayton subwoofer.

5. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

For $300 I would suggest you go with bookshelf speakers instead of floorstanders. In that pricerange, you'll get a better speaker (less money spent on wood venier and internal bracing and more on drivers and crossover).

6. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"For $300 I would suggest you go with bookshelf speakers instead of floorstanders. In that pricerange, you'll get a better speaker (less money spent on wood venier and internal bracing and more on drivers and crossover)."

Agreed. Was there a subwoofer in the picture somewhere? This would be pretty important if you go with bookshelves.

And I think that observation would be true in any price range (i.e. less spent on enclosure-related material).

7. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

I guess I was assuming a subwoofer would be in the mix ... good point. The recommendation to go with the Dayton or one of the cheaper HSU subs was a good one.

8. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

Aperion audio 522's look to be a very good speaker from what I hear

9. Brian_Fly

Brian_Fly Stunt Coordinator

At $300 per speaker and $300 for a center channel, I'd be looking at PSB Image 5T's with a 9C center channel. I haven't heard them myself, but from research, reading reviews, and checking specs that's what I'd go with. And, if Klipsch is more your bag, be sure to check the prices at Vanns on the discounted synergies. I'd also look into the Athena AS-F2 and matching center. The styling is not appealing to me, but it may be to you. They are supposed to be exellent speakers as well. As for bookshelves, it's your call. I've had polk RT25i bookshelves for some time and recently replaced them by much cheaper tower polks. The RT25i's were highly, highly regarded speakers in their day, but I'm happier with my cheapo towers (R50's). I'm obviously the exception, but there's something about a tower's sound that I just haven't experienced with a bookshelf - subwoofer or no subwoofer. Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

10. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

I LOVE my Axioms M80s, 150 center and QS-8 surrounds. They sound fantastic and mate to my SVS 16-46 PCi very well. If I was to recommend speakers in your price range, I could tell you that Axiom makes some fine speakers that would fit your budget.

However, I can't do that. Speakers are the MOST important part of a system. If I was given a budget like you describe, I would push very hard that you up the limit just a bit and look at the Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 speakers as your mains, center, and surrounds. For the money, I feel they are the best speaker out there (of course, my opinion is considered by many to be notheing better than puppy poop).

Of course you need a sub. The Dayton is a fine choice, but again...spend a bit more and get a LOT mre with the baby SVS. For the money, this combo would be VERY Hard to beat.

By the way, if you look in the "Systems" products on the purchase page at Ascend's site, you can pick up 5 CBM-170s for $748, which is pretty good when you were looking at a front pair plus a center for $600 or less. Here you get 5 identical speakers for just a bit more.