quality speakers for cheap

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by allan espinoza, Jul 4, 2002.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

i currently own a yamaha htr5540 and using bose speakers. well after doing some research i am being convinced that bose speakers suck (so a lot of people think so) well i was wandering what would be the best quality speakers i could find under 500 bucks as a complete system or to just replace my mains?. i dont have that much to spend cause i need to pay for school at the moment and i was wandering if satelite speakers are any good and which would you recomend?
    now im just a starter in home theater, well ive actually been into home theater since about junior high when i got my first mini theater system and well now im in college and have been upgrading ever since and proud to always blow my friends away with what i got but its time to get rid of bose so if you have any input or suggestions, that be great
    thanks a lot

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

JBL Studio Series I speakers are available at incredible deals right now. jandr.com will sell you 2 pair of S26 bookshelves for $320 with free shipping. And on Ebay there are several Series II S-Centers with buy it now options of $140 with $20 shipping to anywhere in the US. So $480 total. Then you can start saving for a good sub (if you got some wood working tools and skills definately consider DIY as you won't have to save as long and you'll get significantly more performance for every dollar you spend).

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I second Dustin recommendation ... to hear that exact set (four JBL S26 & JBL S-Center w/SVS 25-31PCi), email me, I'm about 10-15 miles from San Jose, CA.

Phil

4. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Alex:
    Would you consider used? I have a set for sale as follows:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=78764
    As I have heard my neighbors Bose system versus this system (both around $1000) and I know this system kicks the Bose systems rear end.
    Thanks for thinking about it!
    Mike

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

If you like towers, go to Ubid.com and check out the Wharfedale Emerald 97's. They are an absolute steal.
    I own four of the 97's in Walnut and will probably end up with six before all is said and done. Go here to see reviews:
    http://www.audioreview.com/pscSpeake...2_1594crx.aspx

6. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

HTD
    I would say these are the best for the money.
    I have the level II's and they are awesome!

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Definitely the JBL S series 1 from J and R. You might want to get just one pair ($159 shipped) for mains, then find the JBL S center somewhere for $159. You can keep your Bose for surrounds for the time being. Then your next priority would be a subwoofer when you get more money. Or get the Sony SA-Wm40 now for $135. Last priority is to replace the surrounds.

8. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I am growing to like my hometheaterdirect.com level III towers and bookshelves more and more. Even without an LFE track, the Gettysburg DVD was still thumping during the battle scenes, especially when the cannons were blazing.