What's new

Quality receiver on a modest budget? (1 Viewer)

dwidmann

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
First time poster here... this is where google led me :)

Courtesy of my current receiver probably failing(onkyo ht rc160, composite and component inputs don't work reliably anymore ... wouldn't be surprised seeing as it runs practically hot enough to fry eggs) I'm in the market for a new one. I would need at least 3 hdmi ins, 2 composite ins, and one component in, an hdmi out, 5.1 speaker setup. If it ran cool that would be a plus. What's a good buy?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Keep in mind when shopping that since you are using analog video inputs as well as HDMI a model that features analog-to-digital upconversion of all video inputs to be output via HDMI would be a good idea. This ensures you only need a single HDMI cable running from receiver to TV so you won't ever have to switch inputs on the TV.

I know on the Onkyo line, this feature is on the 608 and up models, but am not sure about other brands.

dwidmann

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc

Keep in mind when shopping that since you are using analog video inputs as well as HDMI a model that features analog-to-digital upconversion of all video inputs to be output via HDMI would be a good idea. This ensures you only need a single HDMI cable running from receiver to TV so you won't ever have to switch inputs on the TV.

I know on the Onkyo line, this feature is on the 608 and up models, but am not sure about other brands.

My current one did that also. I'll keep that in mind.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that your onkyo ht rc160 is failing. Onkyo makes good stuff for the most part, I've had nothing but good experience with the brand over the years. There are some great deals to be had online on older and refurbished models. One of my favorite sites is www.accessories4less.com - they have great deals on Marantz and Onkyo stuff there.

Good luck!

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
Now can be a great time to look. Stores and websites will be closing out this year's models. Check Ebay as well. I got my Yamaha receiver there two years ago from Best buy's Ebay store. Retailed for $599, I paid $180. Brand new in box.

dwidmann

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Okay, I've got my eye fixed on the Pioneer VSX-1020-K right now. Anybody have any thoughts on it? (it's going for $360 on Amazon right now.)

Dantigua

Agent
Real Name
dan walker
i'm thinking of getting the same receiver dwidd.... seems like great value and has 6 HDMI ports!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Pioneer 1020 and their lesser receivers are a bit low on the power side, regardless of what they say or want you to think. They should be strong enough for 90% of the people out there but if you have a really big room or speakers with low sensetivity, say 86 or less, then you might want to reconsider. Pioneers do run very cool however, and the features and sound quality are supposed to be excellent.

dwidmann

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Originally Posted by gene c

The Pioneer 1020 and their lesser receivers are a bit low on the power side, regardless of what they say or want you to think. They should be strong enough for 90% of the people out there but if you have a really big room or speakers with low sensetivity, say 86 or less, then you might want to reconsider. Pioneers do run very cool however, and the features and sound quality are supposed to be excellent.

I don't think power will be an issue, in fact, this one has more power than my old receiver, and it had plenty enough. Excellent to hear that these units run cool! (I was seriously considering zip tying a case fan to the next one if it was going to run hot too)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks