What's new

Quality questionable from 35MM prints on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
Im an x projectionist from some 35+ years in the industry working in top city theatres in Auckland and Sydney some 25 years ago…

I have over 1800 blu-rays a large part are classic older titles from silent up to the 90s.

I find all my latest titles within the last 5 years or so are remarkable on my 145” curved scope screen using the JVC NX9.

However I find may of the older titles that would have originally been 35MM are questionable with ringing and other edge enhancement artefacts.

Why are so many of these older titles been restored/processed with such high edge enhancements?

These films were 35MM the quality should look amazing, are they really taken from 35MM prints, negatives or just upscaled from DVD?

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Like everything else involving technology, the state of the art has improved over time. Edge enhancement is pretty much dead now, and doing 4K scans from the source material, which theoretically should capture more of the image quality, is not as rare as it used to be, Of course, newer films were created in a digital format to begin with.

Just curious: what was the source of your 145" curved scope screen?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks