Quality of surround speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bryan'G, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Bryan'G

Bryan'G Auditioning

I have a cheapo pair of surround speakers (Garard or something like that) that I have used for years. Would an upgrade in speaker quality for these surrounds make a noticable difference? Obviously it would for front or center, but I am not sure about the surrounds. (Just to point out this is a family room type set up and not a multi thousand dollar dream set up. [​IMG] )

2. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

I too had a pair of cheap surround speaker to start with. When I built my dedicated ht in my basement, I invested in a pair of Polk bipole/dipole speakers.They are'nt their most expensive speakers by any means, however, they are'nt their cheapest.So yes , you will notice a difference in the quality of sound coming out of your surrounds. I have the old surrounds in my living for watching tv and they can't compare to the Polks. My belief has always been, you get what you pay for. If you spend $50 on a pair of speakers,thats what you'll have. A pair of $50 dollar speakers. If you are happy with the sound you are getting from your current surrounds, then don't replace them. If your not happy with them shop around for something better.

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

If the surrounds are similar quality to the fronts and center, I'd say save your money.