What's new

Quality of RCA TVs (1 Viewer)

Jason*H

Agent
I have heard A few times people questioning the quality of RCA TVs. I was wondering if you guys and Gals could comment on what you know about the quality of RCA products Especially the RCA D52W15 which I can get for $999 at best buy. Any input would be appreciated

brentl

Senior HTF Member
It's always been said that Thompson Electronic has always had some of the worst quality control in the industry.

My Uncle loves em, but he's not exactly knowledgable about this stuff.

Now if you're talking about the "Scenium" label under the RCA badge let's just say that I was told they are the NEW Proscan, and Proscan was a very good name!

Grain of salt!

B

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Consumer Reports lists RCA televisions as "Most likely to need repair/service" compared to any other tested brand. They didn't test Thompson Electric however :)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
I have a 36 inch RCA in my living room which I've had for about 8 years. It get watched at least 6 hours a day M-F, and at least 12 hours on Sat. & Sun. It has NEVER had to be repaired for any reason at all. I also have a 20 inch which I use for gaming now,(the 36" replaced it as the main tv), it was used just as heavily and is at least 15 years old. It also has never been in the shop.

josh.s

Auditioning
I've had an RCA D52130 (4:3) for about 16 months now and it was the floor model at BB before that. I haven't had a problem yet, but I did get the BB 4 year extended warranty just in case. For the price I paid I've been very happy with it and I'll probably keep it until I'm able to take the next step to a projector.

Dewy

Auditioning
I bought a RCA model P52151WK in 1992,
no problems until recently.
It just quit working a couple weeks ago,
but we got 11 years out of it I guess that's pretty good.
Looking at new TV's now will consider another RCA.

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Bought 2 RCA's, the same day, on sale at Sears several years ago, a 25" and a 35". The 25" made it about 4 months - just out of warrantee. Had a bad tuner board, needed resoldering. The 35" made it about 6 months, had the identical problem. Each repair cost about $125.

4 different RCA authorized repair techs immediately recognized the description of the problem and told me there is only two kinds of RCA's - those that have had this repair, and those that are waiting to get it. In talking to RCA customer service, they claimed there were no reported problems on either model. Maybe they should talk to their technicians.

While you may have good experience with RCA - on the average they are no longer a good brand.

Jim L

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Jim, If I remember right? RCA lost a lawsuit over the tuner problem. I think with RCA you are just taking a chance. A friends son did buy a 1996-97 GE 31" TV when he was in college & as of this date he has moved 8 different times & his GE is still going strong & everytime he sees me he laughs because I told him it would never last. My answer is your just lucky & there even worse now that they moved to Mexico in 1998. As for people comparing old RCA's you have to remember there not the same company anymore & neither is GE which used to have a lot of it's stuff made by Panasonic until Thomson bought GE & RCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks