What's new

Quality of PBS DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm about to get the PBS DVD Frank Lloyd Wright: A Film By Ken Burns. Its obviously 1.33:1 but can anyone speak on the quality or lack thereof on PBS DVDs? The prices are sort of steep but for this subject matter, I'm willing to pay.
Any comments on this particular disk welcome as well.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Go for it. But bear in mind that much of the sponsor-provided promotional content will also be on the disc. For example, I have a DVD copy of To the Moon, which was a special two-hour edition of NOVA. All the pre-credit "generous-funding-provided-by" ads were still included--as were the PBS "Web marker" promos during the program.

The video quality is very nice. But you're essentially buying a television program in the form of its first airing. At least the station-bug logo wasn't included.

I'm getting the Frank Lloyd Wright documentary, too. Excellent.

And, again, love your sig.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
The interviews with Mike Wallace are worth the disc alone! Wallace, in black and white, smoking like a chimney and Wright in all of his pompous glory!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You got it! Off-topic, but have you ever read much about the man? I have. A genius. And his life was like a combination of As the World Turns and Caligula. Talk about personal tragedies.

Again, though, you'll enjoy it just as much on DVD--if not more, given the inherently superior video quality.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I read the Secrest biography. I also have the Gill biography waiting to be read.
I think Wright was one of the greatest artists of the 20 century....right up there with Kubrick. :) Too bad his genius proceeded the proper materials to build his ideas. He did well with what he had, however.
Ever get his comment on artists hanging their work in the Guggenheim? Some complained about people viewing their works on a ramp. Wright answered that the artists should feel privileged to be hanging in a Wright building!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That's our Wright! He was every bit as, well, deservedly arrogant as, say, Beethoven.

And I love the segment in this documentary about Falling Water. The critic's spot-on assessment of it, while the camera dwells lovingly on what is the most beautiful American house ever built, is so poignant and peaceful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks