Quality of other Image Charlie Chaplin DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I recieved my DVD box set of The Gold Rush, City Lights, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator and the quality is superb!

Are the other Image Chaplin DVD's just as good?

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I think they are. A few of the individual films may be a little rough, but they are presented in the best manner possible. I'd really recommend you seek out the First Nationals and The Kid. I don't recall any of them being too damaged, in spite of their age, and there are some real gems among them. I'd never seen the Idle Class before, but it was one of the few Chaplins in a long while to have me laughing out loud.

I do have to say that Limelight looks a little bright on the Image DVD. It's almost one constant light level throughout the feature, and it's a little annoying. That might have been the way it was shot, though. I no longer have my tape to compare it to. The print is pretty clean, regardless.

I don't have King in New York or Verdoux, so I can't comment on those.

3. Robb Hudspeth

As said above, the First National collection is gorgeous. In fact, almost all of the Image/Kino releases of silent films are worth checking out. Most are supervised by David Shepard who is a knowledgable and thorough film restoration expert. If you want some more indepth reviews and insight, I recommend www.silentera.com They have lots of reviews and technical data on those wonderful silent films.

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I've watched the entire Image Chaplin set and have to say they all look dandy; you won't find them in any better condition, that's for sure. It's sad about the 1942 rerelease/recut version of The Gold Rush.
    But another reminder/warning for those asleep at the wheel: the Image Chaplins (from at least The Kid afterward; I'm not sure of the copyright status on the First National discs) are discontinued and will be replaced eventually by similarly recut/butchered versions at the behest of the Chaplin estate. [​IMG] Buy them now if you think you'll ever want them. The Mutuals and Essanay films are public domain so hopefully those will be safe.