What's new

Quality of DENON DVD players, inputs please (1 Viewer)

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
I never owned one but checked one out and my biggest complaint is that the tray is way too flimsy.

Also, when I did a search of various DVD player brands, a good number of Denon DVD player post are about malfunction, not being able to read, etc.

I know it has the Faroudja but how is the quality. The local goodguys in my area has the 1805 for a steal at $229 (floor model) and with all this posts, should I get an extended 3 year warranty?

John S

Senior HTF Member
They have these refurbished at ecost for $119

I just paid that for a single disc Sharp. But I think I really wanted a single disc player.

If I had found this one, I may have went with it instead.
Looks like a decent player for sure.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Flimsy tray should not matter. Even the tray on the 2900 is not so impressive, but all it does it take the disc into and out of the player, it has nothing to do with the playback mechanism.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I owned an 1815 for a few weeks and ended up exchanging it for a 2900. I think the difference in build quality is pretty substantial...especially on the tray mechanism. I don't know if I got a bad 1815, but it was a little finnecky loading disks at times.....nothing major, more an annoyance. The 2900 is rock solid and a lot quieter in its operations. Is it three times better like the cost would infer? Probably not, but if I want to watch a movie I want to just load the thing and not have to futz with stuff.

Mort

John S

Senior HTF Member
ecost is???

I could believe it, there has to be a fair amount of people like me scam'n, uhh I mean scan'n the net for cheap DCDi solutions since upgrading to an HDTV....

The place I ordered the $99 Sharp DCDi player did list it as In-Stock, but we shall see......

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
Please let me know. I just called ecost and they are sold out and they don't think they will get anymore in stock.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a 2200 and it is my first Denon DVD player so I can't speak to that specifically but I just found the reciept for my Denon DCM 420 CD changer which I was very surprised to find out I have owned since August 30th of 1992 and it is still performing as well as it did when it was new. I think that should say something about the quality of Denon products.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the tray unless you intend to use it for a cup holder it should be just fine.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I found two used Denon 1600's and both had problems so I returned them. And yes, the newer 910's and 1200's are built quite cheap. However, the performance of the Denon players cannot be questioned. They are among the best.

So, if you want a the cheapest player available with the DCDi chip the Mitsubishi 8040 is the best option. It goes for $250 but can be had for a little less if you try. From there you have the Denon 910 at $299. So, thats about it. I have no info on that Sharp model someone else mentioned. I probably wouldn't chance it though. Thats just me. :)

Also, if you don't mind searching a little you might be able to find a Panasonic XP30 or XP50. They are slightly older players that are no longer being made. You can find them on Ebay and other sites like that. They usually got for $200-300. They're worth it though and I recently purchased one myself. It's clearly a better player than anything currently available sub $500. I saw a guy on Ebay selling a brand new XP30 for $310 the other day. I'd say go for it if you're willing to spend the money.

Danny

John S

Senior HTF Member
Danny Beck, if the Sharp had been anymore money, I probably would not have chanced it. One thing I will say about the model, is I have at least not read one bad thing about it whatsoever. Knock on wood!!!!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I just did a search here back to 2001, I found 6 positive reviews, and one guy that could not get a picture on it at all with his projector but had no follow up posts at all.

The player seems solid, It seems there is even a favorable S&V reveiw of it somewhere, as referenced in a few of the posts, but I have not dug up the review as of yet.

It has no Chroma Bug, that is the one that plagued so many of these bargain DCDi players. The no Optical Audio Out part doesn't really bother me to much.

I'm actually psyched about it, after a more extensive search here on it.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
None of the Faroudja DCDi players have had the chroma bug, the Faroudja chroma filter hides it in any case.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, The Denon 900 sure seems to have had it, from searches here.

by all accounts if your only using the old Sharp model for DVD use, the performance is quite good, ranking well with much higher end players. I do only intend to use it for DVD duty, so I am crossing my fingers on it somewhat.

But then again, what have I really lost, I use a sub $100 cheapie non progressive scan player now with excellent results, letting the TV perform the Progressive Scan.

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I have a Denon 1600 and the build quality is fine for my use. Fit and finish is superior to the Panys I have owned, and it has yet to fail to play a DVD. It even plays the DVD-R & RWs (Imation/TDK)I burn. I've never noticed the "flimsy" tray, but then all I do is insert and remove DVDs...

michael_b_w

Auditioning
I just got the refurb 1805 from eCost and it has impressed me with the picture quality. For $119 I am VERY satisfied. No sub title problems. My guess is the refurb took care of the problem and the player is now a great deal. I update if problems occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks