Quality of computer hooked upto big screen TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angel K, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Angel K

Angel K Auditioning

Has anyone hooked up there CPU to there big screen TV? I want to know if the quality would be any good, or just blurry. I heard someone mention that the HDTV would be better, any truth to that?
    Thanks,

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

3. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

I just hooked a PC up to my projector. My video scaler is in the shop, so it probably isn't a fair comparison. Plus, my computer has an S-Video output while I use component out on my regular DVD player. Plus, the only reason I'm using the computer is because I'm viewing PAL discs, which have a higher native resolution.
    With all of that in mind, the picture is good but not as crisp as my regular DVD player going through the video scaler. After I get my scaler back I'm going to run the PC through it and see if it cleans up the picture at all.
    Also, the picture from the PC seems to jerk slightly during long pans. I don't know if it is a problem with the discs, the PC, or the Sigma Real Magic Hollywood Plus decoder card. The PC is running Win98SE because I couldn't get the decoder card to work under Win2K or WinME.

4. GregH

GregH Agent

Does your projector have RGBHV or VGA? Because that should look far better than s-video and somewhat better than regular RGB. (not to mention it's non-interlaced)

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Most of the membership that uses a HTPC (home theater pc) use software decoding instead of a hardware decoding card. I believe there is also software available that can turn you computer into a scaler. (Speaking from memory and what I understand from what I've read. I personally haven't done this yet as I'm still learning.) Then using some hardware to convert the VGA monitor output to component outputs gives you much higher, even progressive, resolution. This way you wouldn't need to have an additional external scaler between your computer and monitor.
    The idea is that all the scaling is performed in the computer in the digital domain before outputing the analog signal. As opposed to going from digital to analog, then digital...scaling...analog again. Less loss and better picture.
    If I'm wrong on this I'm sure you'll find someone in the Computer and HTPC Area to correct me. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]