Quality of "CD" sound

Discussion in 'Computers' started by TimmyH, Jun 9, 2005.

1. TimmyH

TimmyH Auditioning

To Harris_C of 2 Parts Fusion --Hi, I realize this is a subjective judgement, but I have found the quality of sound on my portable hard drive recorder (iriver, recorded at best quality, rock music) to be OK for exercising, but not for critical listening. How would you say your HTPC would compare to a dedicated cd player? I like the idea of an "all in one" device, but wouldn't want to sacrifice quality for convenience or saving rack space. (the cd player I'm looking at is a level 2 modded (at Underwood HiFi) Eastern Electric Minimax (tubed unit) at about $2000. Asking your -or anyones- HTPC to match up to a dedicated player may be an unfair challenge, but I'm curious what you or others think. Thanks in advance.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea if that $2g cd player didn't sound better than my HTPC I'd be pretty pissed. [​IMG]

One question I have is why would you want a CD player with tubes? Don't most people that buy esoteric equipment have a high quality pre-pro sitting on their shelves already?

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Well tubes are said to have a much "warmer" sound than current transistor technology. . . Doesn't really matter much to me, I would be surprised if I could tell the difference, especially if it weren't an A/B comparison.

For critical listening, I would look more into perfecting the space used for listening versus buying spectacularly priced players. I believe a good room will give a far better improvement to sound than anything that a player could offer.

As far as using a computer, I would say there is potential for it to exceed a dedicated player. Primarily in the fine tuning that you can accomplish with a computer using good hardware. After all, a large number of studios use computers for editing the material that is put on those cds.

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would say it is certainly possible to get equal or better quality on the computer. I can't tell you what you need to get it, but here's my reasoning:

Where should a recording sound its best? Probably in the recording studio. I would guess that the vast majority of major studios now use computers almost exclusively instead of using DAT tapes or whatever else. So I would think there is a way to get better sound from the computer. I'm guessing you're using MP3's on your iRiver? If so, you should look into some of the lossless audio formats and see what you think of those.