Quality of Asian Pirates of The Carribean Releases?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Mason, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Jeff Mason

Jeff Mason Stunt Coordinator

I've read that the R1 version of this film suffers a bit in picture quality because of the inclusion of "too many" audio commentaries along with a DD 5.1 and a DTS track. My question is, has anyone determined if the Hong Kong, Korean or Japanese version of the film has left off some of the extras and included the film with a better picture than the R1 version?

2. Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R Stunt Coordinator

I think it's unlikely that a different transfer was done for the Asian releases. Possible, but unlikely. If you have the capability, the European PAL releases seem to have fewer trailers on the feature disc, and the inherent additional vertical resolution of a PAL transfer, per dvdcompare:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...e.php?fid=4405

3. Jeff Mason

Greg,

Thanks for the response. I mentioned the Asian releases as I'm generally not interested in PAL DVDs. Although I can play them appropriately, I'm one of "those" who can't stand PAL speedup. The dialogue doesn't bother me, it's the music, and no, I don't have "bat ears" as others have mentioned on this issue in the past. [​IMG]

4. Greg_D_R

I 'hear' you, Jeff. That's why I use WinDVD on my home theater pc setup. It has a switch called Pal Tru-Speed that corrects the speedup. Not an option for most people, but in case you didn't know...

5. Jeff Mason

Greg,

That sounds like a nice feature that I certainly wasn't aware of. Do you wind up with a true digital output (does it re-sample the signal somehow) when you enable "PAL Tru-Speed" or is it default to an analog signal at that point? I was just wondering how that affected the audio surround signal.

Unfortunately I only have a stand alone unit for my home theater system so I have to avoid PAL as a PC setup isn't really realistic for me in my current environment. I appreciate the heads up, though.

6. Greg_D_R

Oops, sorry to let this sit for so long, Jeff. To answer your question, the audio is inevitably re-sampled to do the PAL pitch correction, but I see no reason that it would be converted to analog in the process. Someone with a better knowledge of sound cards may correct me on this.

7. Jeff Mason

Thanks Greg! No, it certainly doesn't HAVE to be an analog conversion, I was just wondering! I have a stand alone CD burner than can handle a digital, on the fly, pitch corrected source that it resamples at the right speed, so I'm certain it can be done. My friend's burner, however, can only handle a pitch corrected (re-sampled) source if the input stream is changed to analog, so not all of these things are made equal! Certainly something worth investigating on my end, though!