What's new

Quality kitchen knives (1 Viewer)

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
I've decided to purchase a really good set of kitchen knives. Ones that'll last me forever. I think I've got it narrowed down to either Henckels Pro S or Wusthof Classics. Anyone have any preferences, or good/bad stories about either? Or even suggest something else?

-Erik

Mark Lee

Second Unit
I own a set of Wusthof Classics, and I've liked using them a lot....BUT....I think the Wusthof Grand Prix line (the one with a textured black handle and the trident insignia on a steel button at the base) may be a slightly better choice, if for no other reason than the handles are larger, and without those flat sides, which make them more comfortable to use. If there's no price difference, I'd go with the Grand Prix. You won't be disappointed in either one, though.
Don't have any experience with the Henckels knives, though they seem to cost more for the comparable knives compared with the Wusthofs, and according to Cook's Magazine, which periodically compares various brands of cookware, the Wusthofs seem to always be at least as, and often better than, their Henckels counterparts.
If you want a set of ultra-cool-looking knives, take a gander at the Global line. I believe they're made in Japan, and are made of some super-light alloy, which apparently makes the knives much lighter than either of the Germans. Depending on which cooking authority you ask, this is or is not a good thing (i.e. theoretically less hand fatigue from less knife weight vs. letting the greater knife heft do more of the chopping work for you). Many pro chefs seem to be starting to use them nowadays. And you just can't beat their cool appearance.
http://store4.yimg.com/I/ultimatechefstore_1664_423631
http://store4.yimg.com/I/ultimateche..._1663_11445911

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
My vote goes to Cutco Knives ! Not many people know of them since they are not available in stores. When I was a senior in high school I worked for them and now own a set. They are flat out wonderful. I've used them side by side with Henckle and while the Henckle's are good they just didn't match up to Cutco. Great cutlery, great warranty, great construction, great value!
Dan Hine

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I have a set of Henckels Four Star knives which I like and don't plan on replacing in my lifetime.

If you want something a little different, Kyocera makes a line of ceramic knives that are even sharper than steel.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my dad has some older henckle 4 stars, EXCELLENT knives.. but I heard that the henkel family doesn't run the business anymore and the quality has slipped, any truth to that?

anyway, I would buy wusthofs if I were to buy a set today.

Peter Yee

Premium
The Vikings are roughly the same price as Global knives, it looks like. Of course, you don't have to buy from Viking direct. Someone else ought to have them for less. I get my Global knives from Northwestern Cutlery. They're generally 20% off the list price, no shipping over $99, and (for non-Illinois residents) free of sales tax.
-Peter

GuyC

Auditioning
Heh, I remember this topic from many months ago. Yep, the newer Henckels knives are not the same quality as the old. You can see and feel the difference if you have them side by side. I think a Japanese company bought them, and the quality has gone down ever since.

I like the feel and build of Wusthof knives. When comparing knives of similar build quality, knives are like speakers. Some people prefer the "feel" of one brand of knife to another brand, just as some people prefer the sound of one speaker over another. You should test a knife over a period of time to see if it feels awkward in your hand or causes you any discomfort when using it for long periods of time. The knife should be comfortable to you, in "your" hand, for extended periods of time.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I have the Henckels as well and I really like them a lot. If I were to replace them it would have to be a substantial jump up. Perhaps those ceramic knives that Ming Tsai from East meets West uses would be good.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Though I agree that the ceramics look pretty cool (and apparently can be honed to razor-sharpness, even more so than steel knives), one big drawback I've heard about (apart from their cost) is the possibility of shattering them if one were to drop them on the floor! Not the thing I'd like to see happen to a knife I just dropped >$100 on!

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I personally love the Global knives (I have a kitchen full of them now!). They feel great in my hands (and the hands of my fiancee who is a petite little woman and doesn't like the heftier Henckel style knives).
Go to http://www.cutleryandmore.com and you can find nice sets of Global knives for about $130 USD. This will give you the three most basic kitchen knives, and is really all you need to start with.
A good set is:
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shop/details.asp?SKU=1198
If you want to get even more serious:
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shop/details.asp?SKU=2250
Cutleryandmore.com has the best Global prices I've found, and the service was good (I bought a set for my parents for Christmas).
And if you do get a nice knife, don't put it in the dishwasher!
-Max

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys. It's me, the one who asked about the knives. Thought you all'd like to know what I got. I bought a 7-piece Henckels Pro S set. I compared them to the Whosthofs, and found henckel's steel to be superior. it's a timy bit harder, and the ice hardening really makes a difference. But the biggest difference is that the blade shapes are different. For example, a Henckel's chef's knife is slightly less curved at the tip than a comparable Whusthof. That settled it for me, and sold me on the Henckels.

-Erik

aeveritt

Agent
Erik,

The curvature of the blade, especially in the chef's knives, is important to allow the blade to "rock" back and forth when chopping. While it's debatable whether or not there is an ideal blade design, all chef's knives should have some degree of curvature to the blade. Anyway, when you use a chef's knife for chopping you generally hold the knife up higher on the blade as oppossed to only by the handle. Blades with less curvature may not have a good rocking motion but, as some have already pointed out about knives, you have to find what works best for you. Knives are strange in that they are one of the few products where there are a some distinct things you should look for when purchasing but some of the most important criteria for choosing depends on what you think. Hope you enjoy your knives for many years to come.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I have a set of Wulstof knives and would highly recommend them as an option. You should go to a cutlery store and try out various brands (how they feel in your hand, amount of rocking motion in the chef's knife, etc.). It should be mentioned that the higher quality knives need to be frequently sharpened with a steel (every few times you use them). Also, don't put them in a dishwasher... hand wash and dry them after use. The harder steel gives you a better edge but will rust if you don't take care of it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks