Quality external A/B switch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Stein, Feb 27, 2003.

1. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i have an onkyo 575x and jbl nsp1 plus a pair of n26s. the pair of n26s is being used as the mains and one pair of n24s is being used as computer speakers (i live in a dorm room).

the problem is that with the internal A/B switch in the onkyo the B speakers can only be set to large, there is no way to be able to use bass management and obviously the n24s cant really be used full range.

right now i just have the b-speakers wired through the speaker level inputs of my powered sub (pb10) and switch back between linelevel and speaker level inputs depending on what speakers i am using.

however, i will be getting a new sub (used 20-39cs+) very soon and the outboard amp does not have speaker level inputs.

i dont really want to keep the old sub around just for the speaker level inputs so i am hoping to find a quality A/B speaker switch so i can put but sets of "mains" on the A-speaker outputs of the onkyo. i looked at partsexpress and radio shack and found that either the switches used spring clips (doesnt seem to be high quality) or were fairly expensive and more than what i need (like a 4 sets of speaker switch).

is there any relatively inexpensive but fairly high quality (considering i only use an entry level onkyo and jbl n-series) a/b switch i can buy?

sorry for it being long, but i figure its better to not have people asking questions later about the setup.

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

David, a company called Niles makes a good A-B switch (PS1 maybe) for around $40. Do a search on Niles and you should get some hits.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

4. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

The Adcom GFS-3 is very good as well. Onecall carries them...

Sean