Quality Center Channel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanielLB, Nov 9, 2002.

1. DanielLB

DanielLB Auditioning

I have been demoing systems the whole week. (Klipsch RF7, Boston, Vienna, Paradigm)Everytime the center channel sounds flat to me, narrow as if it was coming out of a tin. Since this is the most important speaker to me I would like to assemble a system around the center channel. Can you recommend one in a $1K price range. I listen to sonus faber and the center channel ($699) was the best of them all but still sounded a little canny. I am looking for a center channel with more presence, roomier. Size and looks don't matter. Please help!. Undestand that my room is quite small and that does not help (15x10x18). Daniel

2. PaulXH

PaulXH Stunt Coordinator

I had the Paradigm Studio CC for about 8 months or so. I liked it but when I was thinking of upgrading my fronts I tried the Revel C-30. It knocked my socks off. The vocals were locked on the screen, not coming from a big box, siting on another big box. I think you should take a listen.

Paul

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i heard a Vienna center (can't remember which one) that was with some Mozarts at a tweeters a couple months back and thought it sounded wonderful.

of the centers i've heard, the Rocket 200 was one of the very best sounding and one of the best values, but i had a big issue with it that prevented me from totally embracing it-
    i had it about 5 inches below my fp screen angled up about 15 degrees and no matter what i tried, the sound always seemed to be coming from below the screen.
    the sound quality itself was awesome-full, lush, robust, but i could never seem to get it to sound like it was properly imaging from the center of the screen.

i'm now using a cbm 170 center from ascend, and the difference is incredible. the speaker is almost 1/2 of everything that the rocket was (in price, size, drivers, etc), but it places the dialouge abosolutely rock solid center of the screen. its not the full range beast that the rocket was, and definitely needs to be properly integrated with a good sub, but i have no complaints yet with its performance as a center channel.

quite a bit less than the $1K you've budgeted, but i've heard plenty of over $1K center channels that i thought performed much poorer than the ascend.

4. DanielLB

DanielLB Auditioning

Thank you Paul(s) for your prompt answer. I will give those (Revel C-30 and Ascend cbm 170) a listen. I will keep you posted on the progress. Daniel

5. DanielLB

DanielLB Auditioning

PaulXH,

Do you combine the Revel C30 with the Paradigm studio series? If so, which series are you using to closely match the Revel C30 needs? Thanks.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

When I searched for speakers, I did something similar. I disconnected all speakers except for the center and auditioned just that using movies I was familar with.

My top choices were:

Definitive Tech CLR-2002 (this is what I bought)
    Energy AC-300 (now replaced by a different model)

I have seen others that feel the 2002 DefTech center is actually superior to the more expensive 2000 model.

Remember that most stores have the centers simply sitting on a shelf, usually with other shelves above it to enclose it in a 'box'. The echo's are what you are likely hearing. On top of your TV, with feet under them and pulled forward a quarter inch will solve a lot of this.

7. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer