What's new

Quality, but not very expensive speaker stands? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am moving into a townhouse next week and will be putting one system in my living room. I've been thinking that good looking speaker stands would be nice for my Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers. I want stands that will hold the speakers securely, yet look attractive. Cost is an issue as well. I've never shopped around for speaker stands, so I don't know how much they should cost. Anyone have suggestions? If possible, please provide some web sites where I can check them out. Thanks!
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
First, my thoughts on what to look for in a speaker stand.
The goal of a speaker stand is to accoustically isolate the speaker from the stand and the floor. A rule of thumb is the more mass the better.
I prefer metal to wood (more mass.) You don't want your speaker to trasnfer its energy to the stand and then to the floor, you'll end up with very different sounding speakers( and not in a good way either.) Metal is better at isolating energy than wood, wood tends to absorb the energy from a speaker.
Spikes, I like spikes on the bottom and top. The bottom spikes isolate the stand from the floor and serve as leveling feet on uneven flooring. If you have wood floors, little metal discs are available to protect the floor from damage from spikes (pennies or nickles work too) Spikes on the top will put little dents in the bottom of your speaker, but, they also serve to isolate the speaker from the stand (the dents are very small and almost unnoticeable.) Rubber pads can be used if you prefer, but rubber is not as good a sonic isolator than a metal spike.
Hollow risers, if your really serious about good sounding stands, you can get stands with hollow risers, which can be filled with sand, lead or steel shot, or other heavy metal products (some very expensive metal filings are sold by speaker stand manufactuters.) Filling your stands adds more mass to the stand.
Second, two sites of makers of (IMHO) quality/good value speaker stands: http://www.targetaudio.com/ http://www.sanus.com/
Hope this helps.
Hayes

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone dealt with www.vtimanufacturing.com ? They seem to be the manufactuers of speaker stand that other 'brands' sell. Their website do not show any prices so I've got to inquire by phone but I was wondering since their models they show on their website is similar to the branded ones ...
Takosan

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I second the Premiere stands. I don't think for the $ you can beat them. I was going to buy a pair of Lovan stands for $279 when my dealer showed me the Premiere stands for $179. They look great, and have three columns supporting the speaker platform that are sand-fillable. They are STABLE!!!
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Best of luck to you!
Pete

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
chip...those look nice! i also like the fact that they're adjustable in height. any other nice features?
how have u liked them?

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Those don't look too bad Chip. How do you like those speaker stands? I'm getting a pair of JBL N26's (my first set of HT speakers btw) this Friday and will be in the market for some stands........Wil
------------------
"The rose petal floats on water,
the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
*******The Wheel of Time

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to see this thread reappear. Anyway, I ended up buying a pair of Sanus Natural Foundations 36" stands fromwww.electroshops.com for $120. They are very good quality stands, though admittedly, I didn't go the ends of the earth to compare various types. The Sanus stands are well made and are quite stylish. They come in 24" and 30" heights as well. As for finishes, you can get them with black bases and tops and either oak, maple, or cherry wood posts. For a bit less, you can get them with a black post. I got the black and maple stands, as I said for $120. All-black 36" stands are $100. The stands go together in minutes. They come with spikes for the bases and tops, or you can use non-abrasive rubber feet for the bases and adhesive pads for the tops. On the other hand, you don't even have to use the rubber feet. I am not using spikes or rubber feet on the bases, but I am using the adhesive pads on the tops. On carpet, this works fine.
Www.electroshops.com provided excellent service. Frankly, I had never heard of them before. I found them by searching for "speaker stands" on Yahoo!. At first, I called them for information about the speaker stands, and they were very helpful. I then ordered the stands online and got them in three days (Minnesota to Delaware).
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the JBL's (N24 and N26). Now I need speaker stands. JBL lists stands made for these speakers but no one seems to carry them.
------------------

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Why not make some your self.They can be what ever size you need and sturdy too.
Get 2 pieces of wood,one piece shold be just bigger than you speaker and the other should be a bit bigger than the first.the biggest piece is the bottom,smaller is the top.
use threaded pipe to run inbetween and flanges to attach them to the wood.Once I get off my bum I am going to build a set for my surrounds,the old bulky speakers I am using for rear stands now are just in the way.
You can paint it to match,just prime first.I think with mine,I will run the threaded pipe the over that a 4" in diameter piece of pvc,I jut think it would look better.
I am also thining of doing a coffee and end tables and possibly a sofa table like this...saw the episode on decorating cents,they made a whole entertainment center out of the stuff,plywood,threaded pipe,flanges...not much cheaper than that.
------------------
My dvd collection
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks