Quake3 Arena Tourney

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Tsutsui, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I've been practicing like a mad man for a tournament this Saterday and was wondering if any hardcore gamers had any tips. I've basically been playing hardcore bots on the appropriate maps.

First round is an 8player FFA on Q3DM12 for 15 minutes. BFG is replaced by a rocket launcher and powerups are disabled. (Top 2 move on)

2nd round is single elimination 1v1 on tourney2, tourney4, DM6, and 2tn3tourney1.

Does anyone know what 2tn3tourney1 means?

First prize is a very nice 64 bit Athlon processor and mobo retailing $1,000. My computer could really use the upgrade.

My goals right now are basically:

Memorize maps and items inside and out. Practice, practice, practice to improve aim and dodging.

I'm thinking of choosing Anarki because he's pretty quiet and is a bit on the skinny side.

For those interested in competing, it's hosted by PCClub in city of industry. There are usually a lot of decent gamers that show up to these things so I'm expecting some tough competition. I can't really play with any of my friends because I'd slaughter them, and I can't practice online due to a 56k modem lag disadvantage.

What to do...

2. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Thanks for the tips,

This is the map where the 8 player FFA is: http://guides.barrysworld.com/quake3/maps/q3dm12.shtml

I've found that against bots, I am most effective at getting high numbers of frags with the rail gun from the highest tier overlooking the quad. The distance means I can dodge rockets while picking off the bots that most of the time die in one hit. 2nd best way at getting frags for me was using the rocket launcher in the main room doing something along the lines of "jump/fire towards floor" technique.

I still need more practice at using the rail gun in close combat situations. I guess I'll have to use the rocket launcher and shot gun instead.

I havn't been too much of a fan of the lightning gun, but anyone that has beaten Q3A on nightmare knows that the LG seems broken in the hands of a character like Hunter. yeesh

The top 2 rooms for me were the canyon and the quad. I found a decent cycle where I'd get both armors, the RG, and then camp for a short while overlooking the quad. (at least long enough until someone hits me from behind)

I havn't looked at any of the rocket jump locations yet, but I'll see what I can figure out.

I'm going to try and play online or at least spectate just so I don't get too accustomed to bots. I know the BFG plays a big factor in the DM so I'll try and find games without it.

EDIT: FOR THOSE WONDERING HOW I DID IN THE TOURNAMENT I AM POSTING HERE:

1st round, this guy FienD absolutely schools everyone with like 100 frags in 15 minutes with second place having like 50-60 this was an 8player FFA.

2nd round, (My round) I have to play this guy that flew in from somewhere who brought a laptop and had his luggage that said LAX on it. He may have won, but it was close. I was only 2 frags from making it to the next match. I get pissed off, but keep my cool and gladly walk away with an Nvidia T-shirt, a lite-on book bag, and an MSI squish ball. [​IMG] I think I did very well for not being able to practice online like these clan affiliated hardcore gamers. Damn there was some serious competetion! A ton more than I expected... I guess what do u expect when u have over 96 registered along with sponsor booths of Aopen, Gigabyte, Msi, Nvidia all promoting their products. This was a fairly serious event IMO. At least I was winning by a couple frags during mid game so I may have been put on the big screen for the audience of gamers to watch me die. hehe

loads of fun IMO

4. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

The RG is definitely a mid-/long-range weapon. Once they close to mid-range, LG can be effective. LG is a very powerful weapon, and if you can keep the stream on them it will chew through health and armor like no one's business. Rocks and SG are good close-in weapons.

I don't play vanilla Q3A anymore, and haven't played DM12 in probably close to 2 years [​IMG], so I can't help you with strategies on the map.

5. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

#1 One of the most important things in 1v1 is keeping the armor and weapons out of you opponents hands, as was said earlier, try and get to items just as they respawn. Try to not allow your opponent to have the armor at all costs, this immediately cuts his chance of survival down.

#2 on the list. Know you enviroment. Can you run the whole level backwards? If not start practicing. Run it over and over backwards til it is engrained. Then do it about 50 more times. [​IMG] A time will come when you have to flee a fight, never do so with your back to your opponent. At least you have a fighting chance to dodge at the last second running in reverse, and still get in a couple shots.

#3 Lastly, know when to run away. Don't play the hero. If you have 50% health or less, take off, get some health and armor and come back. Most 1v1 games between pro players have 2 - 3 kills each, often less, and someone usually wins by 1 kill. Have a bit of a lead, 2 kills or more, avoid combat, hold onto the lead. Play defensive, not offensive. Get a kill, then get some health, rinse and repeat.

I have been to quite a few local lan parties, and a few tournaments. Playing humans is a hell of alot different than bots. One thing you can count on with humans is they usually run the same layout, only the real diehards keep changing their patterns. Try to find their pattern and use it to your advantage. Do they always come through a certain door to get the armor? Be there before them. Know where they are going, and be there when they arrive. When someone turns tail to run from a battle, they are going for health first on average, then armor. Know where the closest health packs are and take a different route. If you can't make it to the health, go strait for the armor, grab it, then wait for them, trust me they will be there shortly.

Best of luck, let us know how you do.

I have never won any of the tourneys I have been to, but have came damn close. I placed second in a 56 player FFA, missed by 2 kills. DOH! And came in 5th in a 1v1 round robin, out of 56 people. Not to shabby, but could have been alot better. Sigh, if I had known now, what I knew then. Ce La Vie.

Krys