What's new

Quadruple dipping ahead/ (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
One would think that going from 480 to 1080 might well be considered a step-change event. Certainly it would seem reasonable assumption to me.

However, after seeing Sony's Blu-ray demonstration (their 60" screen, their split-screen demonstration of Lawrence of Arabia (half 480, half high def)in their home threatre setup (theatre like lighting) I have to say that while it was clearly a signficant improvement I don't think that the average viewer would have noticed.

More specifically, if the average viewer came in and sat down without knowing what was being demo'd they would have walked out none the wiser.

So, if they are over an early adopter's house, will they appreciate the difference or just piss off the guy that spent a bunch for his new set-up? ;)

Don't know, but as a sample of one, I don't think it bodes well for mainstream consumers quickly getting on-board. As far as moi, I'll wait and see. If those 4k scans of the Bond films turn to something great ... I could crack. :)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Sometimes you make your luck. The marketing departments of the major studios seem to worship surveys. Wonder if they take a survey before they use the bathroom. Companies like Image and AB regularly take things the studios wouldn't touch and sell them. I have said laboriously, if studios don't want to risk releasing them then license. You take a licensing fee and risk not one penny. I would catalog the films that a company owns and shop them around to third party sellers. Instead they leave them sitting in a vault,
gathering dust. I just don't understand it. Doesn't make a bit of sense.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'm ready for Blu-Ray or HD discs today. I say if there's enough demand to re-release these films again and again, then great. That means there will tons of stuff out there to choose from.

Quit worrying about double dips of all this stuff. Grab a version you like and enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks