Quad Sheilded RG6

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roy Wallace, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Hello again:

In your opinions, how does the Radio Shack Quad sheilded RG6 coax compare to something like a higher end cable?

I can get Liberty brand pure copper QS for $2.00CAN a foot, and the RS QS is only $0.55CAN a foot.

I have seen many postings here praising Radio Shack conductors... Is this a route I can have confidence in, or is the high end stuff WAY better?

All I am going to use this for is to upgrade the cable TV coax throughout my new house instead of the coax the contractor will use.

As usual, I appriciate all input.

Take care

RW

2. Dave Gates

Dave Gates Agent

Roy,

Personally, I do not care for Radio Shack materials or equipment. No concrete reasons, merchandise just seems cheep to me, so I do not give them my buisness. However, with respect to the coax, I went with Acoustic Research QS-RG6 from Lowe's Home Improvement, for all of my cable & satellite wiring. The 500 ft. spool cost $0.36/ft American. If you have Lowe's in Alberta, I would check there.

3. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I often recommend Radio Shack INTERCONNECTS for modest home theater systems. This does not mean that I endorce the CATV coax. I've not been impressed with it.

If you are going to the trouble of a whole-house re-wire, look into the "Smart Home" cable from CoastCom. It is a bundle of 2 Quad shielded RG6 coax cables, and 2 Cat 5 network cables.

Run this stuff in a "star" pattern to every room to a central location in your house. Here is where you also run your CATV & DSS feeds. You put a nice splitter/amp for CATV and your computer hub here as well.

For the splitter/amp, look into a line of products from ChannelPlus.

For the computer connectors, look into the line of products from Panduit. (They are inexpensive and you can wire them with a pair of pliers).

Good Luck.

5. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

RW