QSC Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Jasina, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Paul Jasina

Paul Jasina Auditioning

Hello all this is my first post here on the forum and I have a couple of questions about QSC Audio and their amps.
    Has anyone ever had an opportunity to listen to the DCA or CX series amps and what is your opinion as compared to B&K or Parasound amplifiers (warmth, staging, transients, etc).
    Thanks for your time and input.
    Paul

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Hi Paul,
    Welcome to the Forum. While I have not had the opportunity to sit down with any B&K or Parasound amps for any long period of time I only have good things to say about QSC amplifiers. With regards to the words "warmth" and "staging" I would probably attribute these more to the speakers than to the amplifier. I'm of the opinion that amps should be as neutral as possible. In that respect I find that the QSC amps give out good clean power, are built very well/they are very reliable, take up little room (most models only use one rack space) and don't break the bank. To see a few other opinions check out this thread...
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/041757.html
    Again, welcome.
    Dan Hine

3. Paul Jasina

Paul Jasina Auditioning

Dan thanks for the welcome and the link.
    I have a friend who is an authorized installer for QSC and was raving about them. I am just trying to get another point of view since I have not been able to listen to them yet.
    I will agree with you about the staging being more of a function of the speakers but IMO the warmth can be as much a factor of amplification as the speakers.
    Thanks again!

4. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    Hello Paul and welcome,
    I have had plenty of experience with QSC Audio amplifiers. I have 3 of the DCA models in my home system and they are great. They are very neutral, have clean clear highs and mids and bass that packs a punch when needed, all with headroom to spare. I've conducted AB tests with the DCA amps against some well respected high-end brands with the DCA coming on top 3 out 4 times. Enough for the plug.
    If you have any questions regarding QSC, please let know. Until then, good listening.
    ------------------
    John Gordon
    QSC Audio Products, Inc.
    Costa Mesa, CA 92626
    (714) 957-7100
    http://www.qscaudio.com

5. Kelly Payne

Kelly Payne Agent

[​IMG]
    John,
    As I looked to the left and saw the city under your name, I was thinking to myself "Boy, John's probably right around the corner from QSC...". Then I read your SIG. D'oh.
    [​IMG]
    (I used to work around the Euclid bend from you an drove past the building all the time.)
    -Kelly

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

John,
    What would you recommend from QSC for a subwoofer amp? I need about 1500W bridged @ 8ohms and must have a SUPER QUIET fan.
    Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    ------------------

7. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Where can these amps be purchased?
    Any idea what something like DCA1622 would cost?

8. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    Kelly,
    Yep, Euclid is just around the corner.
    Brian B,
    If you really need 1500W bridged at 8 ohms, the DCA 2422 is the perfect amp. It is rated at 1500W, 8 ohms, bridged. The DCA 2422 is in the middle of the 2 ch. DCA line--there are also two 4 ch. DCA's. The DCA 2422 is very effecient, very good sound, and has a quite fan. You can also request that the quieter fan be installed. I'm using one DCA 2422 (for my 2 subs) and two DCA 1222's for main and center channels and when watching a movie, you never hear the fan--I'm 6 to 7 feet from the amps. If you are concerned about the fans and have a rack, use a glass door in front of the rack, but be sure to leave at least a 1" gap between the glass and amps.
    Brian C,
    The list price for a DCA 1622 is $1,258.00, but bargaining can be had for a lower price.
    If you want to locate a dealer in your area, give me a call and I will let you know who to contact.
    ------------------
    John Gordon
    QSC Audio Products, Inc.
    Costa Mesa, CA 92626
    (714) 957-7100

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

John,
    Yes, I really need 1500W @ 8ohms. I'm building a sub with an 18" driver in a small, sealed enclosure (approx. 2.35ft^3) and using a Linkwitz Tranform Circuit to get nearly flat response anechoically in the low 20Hz range. Because of the LT circuit, I will require right at 1500W at 18Hz. A salesman suggested the PLX series to me (the 3402, I think). What are the main differences between the DCA series and the PLX series?
    Thanks for your help!
    Brian
    ------------------

10. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    Brian B,
    Sounds like you are building a serious sub. You just may shake the house down.
    As for the PLX and DCA amps, they are similar in design, but have different features. The PLX is more a touring and DJ amp--quick and easy connecting and unconnecting while on the road. The DCA is THX certified, has a DataPort connector where you can connect our DSP units directly to the amp (crossover points, filters, delay, EQ, and much more) as well as our analog crossover modules. The PLX does not except these features. Sonically, both models are great. One thing you will find with the DCA or PLX is the amp will pack a punch in the bass, which you will like for your sub.
    The PLX 3402 is similar to the DCA 3422. 700W/ch, 20Hz - 20kHz, 8 ohms. In bridged at 8 ohms they are 2200W. If you go with either of these two models, you will have plenty of power. If you think you will add or need in the future some DSP or crossover devices, the DCA would be amp of choice. Let me know what you decide or if you have any other questions.
    What size is your room? Another thing, can the driver you plan on using really handle 1500W?

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

John,
    It definitely sounds like the DCA would be the amp for me! My living room is 15.5 x 18 with a 16' cathedral ceiling. The house is an open floor plan design so the living room is open to the kitchen, the dining room, the hallway to the spare bedrooms, etc. I think the house is roughly 1600 square feet and is also built on a 6" thick concrete slap atop compacted GA red clay. So I really think a big sub is the way to go.
    Also, the driver I'm using is rated at 1000W RMS with 20mm Xmax. Here's a link to the driver I will be using:
    http://www.subwoofers.com/MobileAud/...ivers/sv18.asp
    Thanks again for your input!
    Brian
    P.S. Just out of curiousity, how do you think the DCA amps would stack up to a Crown K2?
    ------------------

12. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    Well, being you asked, the QSC DCA amp will "stack up" higher in all respects to the K2.
    As for the sub driver, not familiar with them, but it should serve your purposes quite nicely.

13. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Love my one-QSC EX 1250 and my three-QSC EX800's. Only wish they still made the EX line. Did not like the MX line... well at least the MX700 I had for a day before turning right around and selling it.
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

14. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    The RMX is stable as well into 4 ohm loads. But just like almost any other amp, bridging an amp into a 2 ohm load may give you problems. The DCA and RMX are rated for bridged 4 ohm loads.
    ------------------
    John Gordon
    QSC Audio Products, Inc.
    Costa Mesa, CA 92626
    (714) 957-7100

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,
    I believe someone over at AVS that built one of the HE15 subs bought an RMX 1450 and said that the fan was way too loud for his tastes. I believe he sent it back the next day. That's why I'm interested in something with a VERY quiet fan or no fan at all!
    Brian
    ------------------

16. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

The PLX 3402 is an interesting amp. What is the highest quality line of amplifiers? What is the most powerful amplifier QSC makes? I assume it is the PLX 3402, correct?
    PLX3402:
    Watts Stereo Mode (both channels driven)
    8 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz 0.03% THD 700W
    4 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz 0.05% THD 1100W
    2 ohms 1 kHz 1% THD 1700W
    Watts Bridge Mono Mode:
    16 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz 0.01% THD 1400W
    8 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz 0.01% THD 2200W
    4 ohms 1 kHz 1% THD 3400W
    Noise (20 Hz-20 kHz)

17. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

ChrisA,
    From what John was saying, it looks like the DCA amps would be the way to go. I don't know why, but I have it in my head that it would have a quieter (is that a word?) fan than the PLX series but I could be wrong about that.
    Based on the specs of the 1803, it looks like that'll be the subwoofer for me! Over 24mm Xmax, 1000+ watts power handling, for only $250. Sounds like a real winner to me!
    Brian
    ------------------