What's new

QSC Audio Power Amps...enough wattage to shake your foundation!! (1 Viewer)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
QSC DCA Power Amps (see the pic in my sig):

model 1222, 215 wpc at 8 ohms, 375 wpc at 4 ohms (3 units) $325 each
model 1622, 350 wpc at 8 ohms, 600 wpc at 4 ohms $450
model 2422, 475 wpc at 8 ohms, 825 wpc at 4 ohms. $600

All QCA amps are able to be driven with a 2 ohm load!!

I would prefer to sell all the QSC amps to one person...but will entertain all offers.

thanks!!

Gregg Loewen
[email protected]

Here is a link to QSC's website that shows all of the DCA specs:

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/dca/dca2/dca2.htm

ChrisO

Auditioning
Just out of curiosity, why are you selling these babies? How are they cosmetically and operationally? I'm correct in assuming the DCA series is identical inside to the PLX series, aside from the extra expandability of the DCA interfaces, correct?

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Time for a bump.

they are in perfect shape and have been rack mounted since day one.

regards

Gregg

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Jeez...bump for you. I really need to get some money so I can get in on all these hot deals!

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Richard.

I sent you an email. Please give me a call,

regards

Gregg

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
The emails not here? I've actually seen one take over two weeks from the time sent to get where it needed to be... I don't know, maybe try it again

regards back at you

Can I ask a stupid question? Why would you need that much power per channel? Follow my reasoning here for a momment. If you run reasonably high efficient speakers you could run them at 25 watts a channel and it would be deafining and relitively distortion free. I would much rather get a good 50 watt per channel intergrated amp and high efficiency speakers 95db-104db @ 1 watt per 1 meter. Just a thought.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Paul, yes that is a stupid question!! :) (JOKING!!)

QSCAudio (DCA line) are awesome amps and THX certified (if that really means anything). 70 % of all theaters in the world have QSC amplication installed.

Richard is buying the 2422 to drive some subwoofers (I believe they are the AV-15s ?) and need a good 400 -600 WPC each for proper excursion / SPL output.

One of your assertions is the "reasonably efficient speaker" argument. However many speakers are not that efficient and many would argue that you buy your speakers first then get the appropriate amplification to drive them. I would never buy (or recommend that a client buy) a speaker based on efficiency only. Most speakers are rated in the 89-92 range.

A guiding rule for wattage is to look for the manufacturers specification sheet for your speakers and see what amplification the speakers can handle, then buy the gear to properly match up.

A properly matched speaker / amplification system will give clean sound through out the SPL range and give lots of distortion free headroom at reference volumes.

On a side note, if your speakers are rated to handle 50-150 WPC, and you hook up a amp / receiver that only delivers 25-75 wpc (cleanly anyways) then you are under driving your speakers. When you increase the SPL then you are giving your speakers a distorted signal which can easily damage your speaker. This is much more dangerous to your system than giving too much wattage to your system (as long as your system is properly setup for reference dbls).

Regards

Gregg Loewen
Lion Audio Video Consultants

PS Richard is purchasing the 2422, and I am going to hold off selling the other 4 amps, as these will pair nicely with the new Atlantic Technology 8200 reference speakers that I am getting.

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Paul,
Let me add to Gregg's post with regards to power. Some people can get by with 25W, matter of fact many get by with only 10W--the power in most TV sets. But for the real HT experience, you will need much more.

For example, using your 95dB sensitivity speaker (which for a consumer speaker is hard to come by) in a room 20 feet long would require roughly 367W to sustain 105dB SPL--this is the recommended +20dB headroom level from 85dB reference level. How many recievers can do that? Not many.

But, if this is a standard 89dB consumer speaker, for the same room above, you will now need 1462W to reach the 105dB SPL level. Now how many recievers can reach that?

Many people are happy with their 150W recievers and do pretty well with them. But for clean power, having the headroom to deliver is a better route than not enough.

JohnG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks