QSC? Any Owners/Users?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by alan halvorson, Dec 28, 2002.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I've been thinking about QSC amps. Powerful, cheap and, I understand, reliable, with good sound thown in. Since these are pro amps, I worry about connecting it to my consumer system. I do have balanced outputs on my Anthem AVM-20. What sort of speaker connectors do QSC amplifiers use? Any particular recommended models? The more power, the better for me. Recommended dealers (any in the Twin Cities area?)?

Thanks

2. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

alan,
    qsc amplifiers use xlr or trs inputs (balanced)...the qsc amps are fan cooled and unless your equipment is in a closed rack or in another room the fan noise will be noticible....
    i actually sell these amps here in minneapolis!!!
    aei electronics....763-543-2585..call me during the week and i can give you some pricing if you are still interested...
    russ
    here's the website for specs
    http://www.qscaudio.com/default.html

3. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Alan, on a positive note to balance Russ' less than thriller post (Russ, which QSC lines do you sell?), you may want to hop over to the AVS forum and do some lengthy reading. As an assist, here is the output from a Search I did of their forum using 'qsc AND amp' in just their Amps, Receivers, and Processors forum.
    Also, someone recently conducted a fan mod on a QSC amp. BTW, even though the current lines of QSC amps use XLR and TRS inputs, Radio Shack sells unbalance cables with RCA plugs on one end and TRS on the other (the - is grounded) and QSC audio even shows in their manuals that unbalance cables/connectivity is very acceptable.
    Russ, not knocking anything you have said, but the intonation 'seemed' to be one of discouragement. But, then you posted your tele and offered to 'talk' business. I, myself, am looking for a good price on a DCA-1644. I've already garnered local pricing and a really good internet price, but I'm open for a champion to enter the scene. [​IMG]

4. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Forgot some information ...
    John Gordon of QSC Audio is a regular on AVS (you can search members by their moniker, so do one on 'John Gordon'), and maybe HTF, too. He is pretty good at answering any questions you may have and can get reseller information to you in a jiffy.
    The best pricing I could find on the Internet is Cenequip but you have to click the Buy button to get their actual pricing.
    The RMX and PLX lines are retail associated in the musican, while the ISA and DCA are usually systems integrator, which means they ain't easy to find locally for resale. Russ, which lines are you carrying?

5. RussKon

brae,

sorry that you didn't care for my tone....just offering my opinion on using pro amps (or any amps with fans)in home applications... the qsc amplifiers are a great value....probably the most wattage for your dollar

additionally, i am not on here trying to make a sale...but since he did ask about minnesota dealers..

we are direct to qsc and i can sell the entire line-up of qsc...

we sell mostly cx and isa series amps with an occassional rmx thrown in...

i will probably not be able to beat the best price you can find out on the internet...but price is only part of the picture...(i'm not sure that i wanna open that whole can of worms)....but we sell most of our equipment to dealers, contractors, and installers and they receive "dealer" pricing....

russ

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Russ, I didn't say that I did not care for your tone, but that I thought is 'seemed' slightly discouraging. Please do not take what I said in response as being offended, as I was perfectly happy to see your response! [​IMG]
    Thanks for letting us know which lines you offer, and I understand about the Internet pricing thing--we aren't gonna touch that open pit fire, hehe.

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The new SRA line is supposed to come out in Q1/2003. It's their new "home theater friendly" line of amps. That should make life much easier for those looking to use these for HT. [​IMG]

8. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

The SRA line will also have RCA inputs as well. Personally, for the money the DCA-1644 (four-channel [email protected]) in their Digital Cinema Amplifier series is hard to beat. Its less than a grand and will allow one to bi-amp the most greedy of loadspeakers. [​IMG]

9. RussKon

brae,

the dca series is new and also very quiet ..... i auditioned it at the last cedia show which just happened to be in minneapolis this year.....

very cool amplifiers....

russ

10. alan halvorson

I need (actually want - don't really need) 500+ watts/channel. I believe in overkill when it comes to amplifiers. Since I'm only in the thinking stage at the moment, and I'd like to see how that SRA line turns out, I'm going to wait a little. Russ, I will be giving a call soon, if that's all right with you.

11. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

A 50% overage is more than sufficient to keep well away from potential clipping. Unless you manufacturer suggests it, I cannot see why anyone would need 500WPC.

Of course, using a DCA-1644 for a pair of main loudspeakers is kinda like 500WPC as I would be supplying 250W to each of two channels going to a single loudspeaker.

12. Arnold_R

Arnold_R Stunt Coordinator

Alan, I'm currently using an older QSC amp MX 700 to power my VMPS Larger Sub and have been very happy for the last 7+ years. I've never had any problems with it. I am running it bridged mono into a 4 ohms. I did have to install a quiet fan from QSC as the 2 speed fan was a little to loud. I am planning on upgrading to the Anthem AVM 20, and was planning on using QSC amps for the other channels. I've also been in contact with John Gordon from QSC and he has been very helpful. The DCA or new SRA amps would be the way to go for HT. I believe the SRA's will cost more than the DCA's. If you do end-up getting QSC's for your Anthem, let me know how it works for you as I plan on doing the same.

Thanks,

Arnold

13. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    How do,

If you need, or want, lots of clean power, QSC can provide. Out new SRA series of amps, which are coming soon, will be home theater friendly. There will be three models to start. Power range will be 200W/ch, 425W/ch, or 725W/ch at 8 ohms 20Hz – 20kHz depending on model.
    Input connectors will be XLR, RCA or our DataPort connector. Output will be binding posts or Speakon. And yes it will still be fan cooled, but the fan is extra quiet and should not be heard.
    As for the DCA series, they have been around seen the beginning of 1999. They come in 2 and 4 channel models.
    If anyone is going to CES 2003 and would like to chat, I will be there Thu and Fri walking the floor. I will also be going to the AVS party Fri. night. I will be wearing a QSC shirt, so should be easy to spot.

14. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Greetings, I have been running DCA amps in my system for over one year now.

I am currently wanting to sell some of them (maybe). Selling the DCA 2422 for sure. It is 475 WPC at 8 ohms. I also have 3 DCA 1222 (215 WPC at 8ohms) and 1 DCA 1622 (350WPC at 8 ohms)

If anybody is interested please call me at 207 778 5417 or via my cell at 207 491 6007

I love these amps but am no longer using them as I am now an Atlantic Technology dealer.

Regards

Gregg

15. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Gregg, I'm at work and on a conference bridge. So, I sent you an email.

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Does anyone have any "leaked" information regarding the specs of the new SRA line to be released by QSC?
    Gabriel has mentioned that they should appear on the street within the next three months. However, it would be nice to read up on them a little at this point in time - if possible.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

17. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    Wayne,
    What specs are you wanting to know? "Leaking" is not required. Information is available. All you have to do is ask.

18. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

19. alan halvorson

I would like to know list prices of all models and dealers names and locations in the Twin Cities area.

20. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    Wayne,
    Here are answers to your questions: