What's new

QSC Amps (PLX/DCA) (1 Viewer)

Brae

Supporting Actor
QSC Amps (PLX/DCA)
Other than the limited information available on their website, can someone tell me why one would even consider these amps? Does anyone know what the amplification is based upon (MOSFET?), and can anyone tell me what the difference is between the DCA-1622 and the PLX-1602?
I see everyone on the Internet selling them for $599-600, but no other variation. I attribute this to probably some sort of pricing regulation by the manufacturer. Are these amps capable when compared to, say, and Adcom GFA-5500, Bryston 4B SST, or similar?
Not experienced enough to be able to look at the specs and determine if the important variables are sufficient values or not for loudspeaker amplification in a HT setting.
I have sent an email to QSC, but still waiting on a reply.:)

Lorenzo K

Agent
I used to work for a movie theater and we used qsc amps. I can't remember the model number. They are very good amps imho. I think that they are used a lot in prof audio.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
They are designed for pro audio use, extremelly high power, long lasting, robust amps. They probably won't be best for your speakers(mains), but are awesome for giving raw power for subs.

Brae

Supporting Actor
They probably won't be best for your speakers(mains)
Why? Please explain. THD, sensitivity is comparable to other, but I keep hearing comments like your comment without and justification.

Analogy: My replying to anyone's post would be 100% worthless. But, without saying why, the very comment is worthless.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Brae, do a search for member John Gordon and send him a PM. He works for QSC and is full of amp info.
Peace Out~:D

Brae

Supporting Actor
Ron-P,
I've already been speaking with him by personal email. He has already explained the differences and similarities. They are a lot closer, as John pointed out, because the DCA's are based on the PLX line.

My biggest concern is also finding a reseller for the DCA line locally, as both leads did not pan out (provided to me by John). I have found a PLX reseller and will have a look-see on Friday.

Pro audio power amps from QSC and BGW seem to have users, but just not home users, which makes trust-development kind of difficult. Comparing these to something from Adcom, Bryston, etc., etc. that everyone else is using makes me as "what am I missing?"

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Brae:

You're not missing anything. The problem with the QSC and others of their ilk is first and foremost fan noise and second hook up facilities. There are no RCA's on the back of most pro amps: you'll need to use XLR's or 1/4" TRS Phone plugs. And grounding can be a little tricky. Stock up on adapters and cheater plugs, just in case. That said, I have tried a QSC amp (a PLX) and apart from the fan noise (which was annoying)the sound was very clean, very dynamic and very accurate. If you can get by the two problems mentioned above, you will be happy.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
There're easy ways to get around the XLR issue. I believe there's a chain of stores around the US called Guitar Center that stocks those amps. If I'm correct, their return policy is pretty good if you want to check one out.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Tony, thanks for the reply. What are cheater plugs? I am not too concern with the interconnects after reviewing the PDFs manuals on the QSC website (which shows how to bind a ground to the '- 'lead for unbalanced wiring.

Besides, how noisey can this thing be next to the amount of noise I wish to make? I am not entirely sure if fan noise is going to be a problem or not since my intention will be to use an equipment closet when the HT room is finished.

Was it the fan noise that turned you away, or something else? Also, what were you going to use it for?

Brae

Supporting Actor
Chu, you are correct about the Guitar Center and I called them this morning. They have a 30-day return policy and was willing to earn my business, as the young man said 2-3 times during our brief conversation.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Guitar Center or online www.musiciansfriend.com is the same thing. Their prices seem to be pretty good and dealing with them (my son actually) is pretty good. You might even find that if you ask, they'll shave a few bucks off their price. They also carry a rotating stock of used equipment although its tough to find bargains. The XLR to RCA wires are easy to make and readily available. While you're there might as well check out the Crown amps too. Good luck.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Ok, so they are willing to price match people on the internet. I found someone listing the PLX-1602 for $599, but this was in the 'shopping car' area and not the nrmal area of their website. I've printed it, and will see what I can do, especially since the online place has free shipping.
Why isn't someone on here an authorized reseller for QSC products and sell to your HTF friends at cost? :)

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
What are cheater plugs?
They're adapters that take a 3 prong plug and make it into a 2 prong plug. It lifts the ground. Supposedly not real safe but not really a problem at home. I use them on occasion.

Re the 1/4" to RCA adapters, the Shack sells gold plated ones for about $2 a piece.

I found the noise objectionable in my small music room/home theater in my old house, particularly with soft music. For a dedicated home theater I probably would have kept them.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Tony, again, thanks for the info. Yeah, my TiVo unit has trained me well--and who says you can't teach and old ...

I did not think about simple connector adapters. Anyways, does anyone know what the usualy haggle-ability is of guitar center? I don't want to go asking for something that really is way beyond their ability (like 30% below their cost) and literally insult them unintentionally.

If I can find the PLX-1602 for X on the Internet ...? BTW, John Gordon was kind enough to relate the differences between the PLX and DCA lines and I though some of you would like a quick FYI:

First, thanks for your interest in QSC. Now onto the differences between
the PLX and DCA amps.
- DCA are THX approved, the PLX are not.
- DCAs have our DataPort input connector, the PLX do not.
- Inputs on DCA 2 ch. are XLR, Phoenix, 1/4", and DataPort. PLX inputs are
XLR or 1/4".
- DCAs have barrier strip and Speakon speaker outputs, PLX have binding
posts and Speakon.
- The DCAs have security lock-out covers for the front gain controls, the
PLX does not.
- There are five 2 ch. models and two 4 ch. models in the DCA line, PLX has
five 2 ch. models.
I think that about covers the differences. Both lines have very good sound
quality.

Unfortunately, the DCA line (and probably the ISA/T lines) are not sold through typical retail channels, but through cinema integrators/installers), although RSEM has them. Not sure if the DCA-1622 for almost $900 is worth it compared to the $599 for the PLX-1602 (almost the same dang thing!).

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
If you call RSEM, you will be able to get a much better price,I think. I heard they had to raise their web prices due to competitors complaints, or some such. I was looking at a 1644 a while back, and it was around $750, if I'm not mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks