What's new

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Nice screen caps and reviews, John!

Fritz Weaver and Dana Wynter are such fine players and among my favorites in the Pantheon of great QM company actors. This is a fine FBI episode, and among that season's most memorable with a young and lovely Joan Van Ark and a fleeting appearance by Ed Begley Jr., not a chip off the old block as he's nowhere near as scary and intense as his dad, another of the QM immortals. Especially as the 'man in a chariot' of The Fugitive.

John, I see that you have The FBI seasons six and seven? Do you plan on getting more? I started buying these expensive Warner Archive sets about ten years ago, and only completed my FBI series run with my acquisition of the final season nine this past summer. My first five seasons all came in split season volumes. Lee (Lecagr) has the complete series and encouraged me to eventually buy them all, thanks! I watched The FBI with my dad during it's original run from 1965-74, and it was among my dad's favorite shows.

I wish Warner Archive would continue to release 1950s and 1960s TV, but it appears that their 2018 DVD sets of James Franciscus and Dean Jagger's Mr. Novak season one and Jack Palance's Bronk are the last that we'll see for older season sets. Since then, they only release superbly restored Blu-rays (and recently 4K) releases of classic WB, RKO and MGM theatrical films, which I also collect. I don't even want to know how much I've spent on WAC DVDs and Blu-rays since their launch in 2009.

I took these photos of my complete QM TV DVD collection...everything in QM TV series that were ever released directly by CBS/Paramount (The Untouchables, The Fugitive, The Invaders, Streets of San Francisco), CBS MOD (Most Wanted), WAC (The FBI), under license to VEI (Dan August, Cannon, Barnaby Jones) and my 'alternative' DVD-R partial set (14 episodes) of The New Breed and DVD-R complete series set of 12 O'clock High...and Jonathan Etter's book Quinn Martin, Producer (222 pgs., illustrated, McFarland 2003).
SAM_0855.JPG

SAM_0853.JPG

SAM_0861.JPG

Last edited:

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Nice screen caps and reviews, John!

Fritz Weaver and Dana Wynter are such fine players and among my favorites in the Pantheon of great QM company actors. This is a fine FBI episode, and among that season's most memorable with a young and lovely Joan Van Ark and a fleeting appearance by Ed Begley Jr., not a chip off the old block as he's nowhere near as scary and intense as his dad, another of the QM immortals. Especially as the 'man in a chariot' of The Fugitive.

John, I see that you have The FBI seasons six and seven? Do you plan on getting more? I started buying these expensive Warner Archive sets about ten years ago, and only completed my FBI series run with my acquisition of the final season nine this past summer. My first five seasons all came in split season volumes. Lee (Lecagr) has the complete series and encouraged me to eventually buy them all, thanks! I watched The FBI with my dad during it's original run from 1965-74, and it was among my dad's favorite shows.

I wish Warner Archive would continue to release 1950s and 1960s TV, but it appears that their 2018 DVD sets of James Franciscus and Dean Jagger's Mr. Novak season one and Jack Palance's Bronk are the last that we'll see for older season sets. Since then, they only release superbly restored Blu-rays (and recently 4K) releases of classic WB, RKO and MGM theatrical films, which I also collect. I don't even want to know how much I've spent on WAC DVDs and Blu-rays since their launch in 2009.

I took these photos of my complete QM TV DVD collection...everything in QM TV series that were ever released directly by CBS/Paramount (The Untouchables, The Fugitive, The Invaders, Streets of San Francisco), CBS MOD (Most Wanted), WAC (The FBI), under license to VEI (Dan August, Cannon, Barnaby Jones) and my 'alternative' DVD-R partial set (14 episodes) of The New Breed and DVD-R complete series set of 12 O'clock High...and Jonathan Etter's book Quinn Martin, Producer (222 pgs., illustrated, McFarland 2003).
View attachment 160313
View attachment 160314
View attachment 160315
I have those on my tsod list.it's a truly classic television series of the 1960's/70's.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
John, I see that you have The FBI seasons six and seven? Do you plan on getting more?

I own season 5, 6, 7 of The FBI because this is the same team (Saltzman/Weingart). I will do season 5 much later.
I am reluctant to get into season 8 because they have changed the formula (no pre-credits scene, a new associate producer).
Anyway, season 8 is the last season with co-star William Reynolds and producer Saltzman so perhaps I will give it a try.
Who knows?

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
¶​
¶ Next on The F.B.I. season 7, the reviews of the second disc and starting on Monday 31!​
¶ Get your ID and be ready!​
¶​
fbi7_d02.jpg

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
THE FBI SEASON 7

Episode #5

“Dynasty of Hate”
written by Robert Heverly
directed by Virgil W. Vogel
cinematography by William W. Spencer
guests: Earl Holliman, L.Q. Jones, Jim Davis, Ron Doyle, Allen Emerson, Dabbs Greer, Robert Palmer, Jo Anne Meredith, Bryan Montgomery, Danni Sue Nolan, Henry Silva, Wadsworth Taylor, Buck Young

KIDNAPPING

It’s an average modern-day western entry with a good Act 4 and a harsh family drama loosely based on Cain and Abel about vengeance that takes place in New Mexico in which the guest criminal is a local hitman who never intends to kidnap his victim. Unfortunately, the story is not focused on the criminal who appears as a shallow and insignificant figure but on the sordid family and a devious scheme from an inside man. The best scene remains L.Q. Jones threatening Dabbs Green at his home, faking his death and chased by the FBI. Three scenes (Henry Silva pointing his rifle towards the young rancher from the prologue, Erskine and Co. chasing L.Q. Jones in the vicinity of the home of Dabbs Greer during Act 3, the helicopter shot from Act 4) from this episode are part of the season 7 promo film. The helicopter is back but the FBI uses two! Both Erskine and Colby are dressed in cowboy outfits during Act 4. The script is penned by story consultant Robert Heverly. The cast of the ranchers is good: Jim Davis as the old and sick father, Earl Holliman as the shady elder son, Bryan Montgomery as the young son and victim, L.Q. Jones as the second-in-command, Dabbs Greer as the middle man. The main criminal is Henry Silva who is badly cast.

QM actors notes: Earl Holliman guests in some QM series like 12 O’Clock High, The Fugitive, The FBI (4), Cannon, The Streets of San Francisco. Earl holliman used to be the lead in a modern-day western series entitled Wide Country.

Returning guest actors: Earl Holliman (the season 5 “The Quest”), L.Q. Jones (the season 3 “The Gold Card”), Ron Doyle (the season 6 “The Architect”), Allen Emerson (the season 5 “Fatal Impostor”), Dabbs Greer (the season 6 “The Architect”), Robert Palmer (the season 6 “Antennae of Death”), Danni Sue Nolan (the season 6 “The Natural”), Henry Silva (the season 3 “Line of Fire”), Wadsworth Taylor (the season 6 “The Hitchhiker”), Buck Young (the season 6 “Three-Way Split”).

‘The FBI’ TV Series Promo (1972)
The season 7 trailer film consists of scenes from “Dynasty of Hate”, “The Last Job” and “Recurring Nightmare” and punctuated by Duane Tatro’s “Incident in the Desert” from season 6.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
THE FBI SEASON 7

Episode #6

“The Mastermind, Part 1”
guests: Bradford Dillman, Steve Ihnat, Scott Marlowe, Clu Gulager, Marianne McAndrew, Jennifer Billingsley, Virginia Vincent, Robert Emhardt, Laara Lacey

INTERSTATE TRANSPORTATION OF STOLEN PROPERTY, INTERSTATE TRANSPORTATION OF STOLEN MOTOR VEHICLE

“I’ll get ya. No matter what it takes.”
—mad revengist Lewis Lyle Chernik (actor Clu Gulager) to the salesman.

It’s a top, big-scale, hectic robbers entry about revenge that is served by a fabulous cast and filled with surprises like the nasty shift at the barn hideout, the hitchhiking-stealing of a car to chase the traitor down to a railroad path. Perhaps, the greatest episode from the entire season 7. The armored truck heist prologue at the amusement park is very inspired and original because the criminals are disguised as cartoons figures and it loosely reminds the delirious feel of The Wild Wild West. The fantastic countryside car chase is punctuated by the season 6 score “Incident in the Desert” composed by Duane Tatro. One of the best scene takes place in the home of a shady doctor played by Robert Emhardt who faces a wounded and angry Clu Gulager that is driven by vengeance after being hit in the arm by Bradford Dillman. And… don’t miss the final supermarket manhunt/shoot-out! The script is penned by story consultant Robert Heverly and it plays like a variation of the season 6 “Three-Way Split” with another anonymous on purpose mastermind but, unlike it, he double-crosses his accomplices and has a steady family. The cast of the robbers is more than excellent: Bradford Dillman as the treacherous and settled leader calls the salesman, Steve Ihnat as the second, Scott Marlowe as the young ladie’s man hood, Clu Gulager as the ruthless long hair trigger happy henchman wearing thick spectacles.

QM actors notes: Bradford Dillman appears in some QM series like 12 O’Clock High, The FBI (6), Dan August, Cannon (2), The Streets of San Francisco, Barnaby Jones (6), The Manhunter. Dillman is excellent in the pilot episode “Requiem for a Son” from Barnaby Jones.

Returning guest actors: Bradford Dillman (the season 6 “The Traitor”), Steve Ihnat (the season 6 “Incident in the Desert”), Scott Marlowe (the season 6 “The Fatal Connection”), Jennifer Billingsley (the season 6 “Three-Way Split”), Virginia Vincent (the season 5 “Silent Partner”).

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
THE FBI SEASON 7

Episode #6

“The Mastermind, Part 1”

Pictures of the robbers gang: leader Curtis Breer (actor Bradford Dillman), second-in-command Howard Douglas Rademaker (actor Steve Ihnat), ladies’ man Clenard Massey (actor Scott Marlowe), mad revengist Lewis Lyle Chernik (actor Clu Gulager).

mastermind1_01.jpg
mastermind1_02.jpg
mastermind1_03.jpg
mastermind1_04.jpg
mastermind1_05.jpg
mastermind1_06.jpg
mastermind1_07.jpg
mastermind1_08.jpg
mastermind1_09.jpg
mastermind1_10.jpg
mastermind1_11.jpg
mastermind1_12.jpg
mastermind1_13.jpg
mastermind1_14.jpg
mastermind1_15.jpg
mastermind1_16.jpg
mastermind1_17.jpg
mastermind1_18.jpg
mastermind1_19.jpg
mastermind1_20.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great review, caps and video clip John!

Great cast of characters in The Mastermind parts one and two. And many of my QM favorites with Bradford Dillman, Clu Gulager, Steve Ihnat (nobody did crazy better!) and Scott Marlowe...all familiar faces in our 1960s and 1970s TV collections. Great chase action. And some lovely women like Marianne McAndrew and Jennifer Billingsley.

Love that shoot-out in a real supermarket too! I love to freeze frame details like that magazine rack and grocery shelves for my nostalgic blast from the past. It can really take you back to those times. QM must have paid a good fee for the Supermarket to close to it's regular customers while The FBI cast and crew with many extras set up this complex sequence in the store. Good direction by the reliable Virgil Vogel.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Great review, caps and video clip John!

Great cast of characters in The Mastermind parts one and two. And many of my QM favorites with Bradford Dillman, Clu Gulager, Steve Ihnat (nobody did crazy better!) and Scott Marlowe...all familiar faces in our 1960s and 1970s TV collections. Great chase action. And some lovely women like Marianne McAndrew and Jennifer Billingsley.

Love that shoot-out in a real supermarket too! I love to freeze frame details like that magazine rack and grocery shelves for my nostalgic blast from the past. It can really take you back to those times. QM must have paid a good fee for the Supermarket to close to it's regular customers while The FBI cast and crew with many extras set up this complex sequence in the store. Good direction by the reliable Virgil Vogel.

“The Mastermind” is the masterpiece of season 7. Period!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
THE FBI SEASON 7

Episode #7

“The Mastermind, Part 2”
guests: Bradford Dillman, Steve Ihnat, Scott Marlowe, Clu Gulager, Marianne McAndrew, Robert Emhardt, Laara Lacey

INTERSTATE TRANSPORTATION OF STOLEN PROPERTY, INTERSTATE TRANSPORTATION OF STOLEN MOTOR VEHICLE

It’s still a good action-adventure entry, an exciting dual plot about manhunt—manhunt to catch the salesman by both sides and the remaining criminals by the FBI—a fine revengist showdown (Clu Gulager versus Bradford Dillman) and, eventually, a family drama that includes a wife and a little girl. For the anecdote, the character of Scott Marlowe has an affair with a hip young woman that finishes at the exit of a bus thanks to the FBI. As in the 1962 movie Cape Fear with actor Robert Mitchum as sadist Max Caddy, the character of Clu Gulager follows the same way and harasses the salesman in his common daily activities (the country club, the observatory glass elevator leading to a business meeting) and also infiltrates his home but by posing as an exterminator for the Mabry Pest Control in order to terrorize his little girl. The final cemetery treasure hunt/chase scene is punctuated by Duane Tatro’s weird echoplexed trumpet cue from the season 6 “Incident in the Desert”. The pre-titles sequence is a recap of part 1 that lasts 3 minutes and the four Acts are numbered from Act 5 to 8. The third ritual returns because the salesman ends up in the office of Erskine and dressed in blue. The script is penned by story consultant Robert Heverly.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
THE FBI SEASON 7

Episode #8

“The Watch-Dog”
written by Gerald Sanford
directed by Allen Reisner
guests: Stuart Whitman, Sharon Acker, Joan Delaney, Ivor Barry, Charles Robinson, Richard Bull, Eric Christmas, John Kroger, Read Morgan, Harlan Warde, John Mayo, Ray Kellogg

ESPIONAGE

It’s a very mundane entry with a dog as a henchman, an artificial love story and another industrial espionage tale that reminds the two season 6 episodes “The Traitor” and “The Stalking Horse” as basic templates. As in his season 6 episode “The Impersonator”, Stuart Whitman plays again the elegant serial lover/con artist and, here, dates and seduces Sharon Acker—playing a scientist—to obtain some secret data from a space company. What links both lovers is their irregular family situation. The only spice in this linear plot is the intrusion of the little sister’s boyfriend that fails to be shot in a subterranean parking lot. The messy dog attack prologue is not convincing because we see the dog trainer stunt double too much and, worst, the falling victim (Richard Bull) remains alive after such a lethal fall. The cast of the sisters is fun: Sharon Acker and Joan Delaney. The cast of the Soviet operatives consists of Ivor Barry as the old bitter leader with a dog, Stuart Whitman as the young playboy.

QM actors notes: Stuart Whitman guests in some QM series like The FBI (3), Cannon, The Streets of San Francisco, Caribe, Most Wanted.

Returning guest actors: Stuart Whitman (the season 6 “The Impersonator”), Charles Robinson (the season 6 “Incident in the Desert”), Richard Bull (the season 5 “The Swindler”), Eric Christmas (the season 6 “The Traitor”), John Kroger (the season 6 “The Hitchhiker”), Harlan Warde (the season 6 “Escape to Terror”), John Mayo (the season 6 “The Replacement”), Ray Kellogg (the season 6 “Turnabout”).

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
¶​
¶ Next on The F.B.I. season 7, the reviews of the third disc and starting on Monday 7!​
¶ Get your ID and be ready!​
¶​
fbi7_d03.jpg

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
THE FBI SEASON 7

Episode #9

“The Game of Terror”
written by Robert Malcolm Young
directed by Ralph Senensky
cinematography by Harold E. Wellman
music by Michel Mention
guests: Richard Thomas, Jerry Houser, Gary Tigerman, Dabney Coleman, Alex Nicol, Robyn Millan, Joel Lawrence, James Sikking, William Bramley, Claudia Bryar, Susan Davis, Michele Nichols, Hal Riddle, Frank Baxter, Ron Stein, Rick Moses

EXTORTION

It’s an average and easy kidnapping entry but the novelty is that it is done by two teenagers on one of their classmates—a wealthy weak young man—in a private school. Beyond that dreary case of juvenile delinquency, it’s another family drama about a guilty father that sends his son in the wrong school to change him. Don’t expect some wild criminals but two dumb school boys acting as little sadists played by Richard Thomas (the egotist mastermind) and Jerry Houser (the hand) which is the main weakness of this limited story. There is a glitch in the kidnappers’ plan: the hideout which ends up as a tombstone for the victim. The guest cast is terrible except Dabney Coleman as the school administrator.

QM actors notes: none.

Returning guest actors: Dabney Coleman (the season 5 “Incident in the Desert”), Joel Lawrence (the season 6 “Three-Way Split”), James Sikking (the season 6 “Three-Way Split”), William Bramley (the season 5 “The Inside Man”), Claudia Bryar (the season 5 “Gamble with Death”), Susan Davis (the season 5 “The Swindler”), Hal Riddle (the season 6 “Antennae of Death”), Frank Baxter (the season 6 “The Deadly Pact”).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks