What's new

QCast Tuner available end of August (1 Viewer)

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Check this one out folks (for Sony PS2):
BroadQ
This software in conjunction with the Sony Broadband adapter (available August 27th) will let you stream media from your PC! This includes MP3s, Divx movies, and others! Check it out - it's only $50!

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I'm definitely gettin' this - I'll be able to write it off on my taxes as R&D for my new business venture! Remember, you need the Broadband adapter as well for this software to work!

Andre F

Screenwriter
Wow! That looks really cool...another reason to get my act in gear and run some wire down to my living room!

GaryP

Second Unit
Guys,
I thought I would resurrect this thread since this product has now been released. Before I got the QCast, I was/am using a Rio Digital Audio Receiver as my MP3 server. While I love the Rio Receiver, I did have two complaints, those being, no digital output, and the display is too small to read unless you're right on top of the machine.
With the QCast, you can create your play-lists and all other program functions on your TV, which is a nice feature. I am, however, disappointed to see that the digital output flag was not included in their preview edition.
Browsing through their online forum, I was able to confirm that they are working on adding this feature for the final release, as well as a JPEG/BMP picture viewer. For those of you that have a large collection if MP3's or MPEG videos on the ol' hard drive, and do not have a device like the Rio Receiver, I highly recommend picking one of these up. Price: $49.99.
Gary

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I would also advise that you sign up as a beta tester if possible. That way you get the beta version available, and will be upgraded to the premium version for free!

I have been in close contact with Broadq since their announcement of the product and have had the beta version since September 13th. They are very fast in turning around code updates - they announce when they do have one, and all it requires is to restart the QCast Station java program that runs on your PC to get it!

I am very pleased with the product, and though there are some glitches here and there, for a beta product it is PHAT! BTW, if you go to the site and sign up for the forum, my name is RockyMtnBri.

Like GaryP I also have a Rio Receiver - it's now in my bedroom about 2 feet from me and I'm still using it. I had the same gripes GaryP did about the Receiver, plus Rio doesn't make it anymore nor do they support it! Qcast Tuner is the better choice, and at only $50, you can't beat it. Now I'm recording programs on my PC downstairs that I can stream upstairs to my HT setup, as well as nearly 10,000 MP3s!

GaryP

Second Unit
Brian,
I tried to sign up to be a beta tester. I was directed to the application, but after answering the first question, I was notified that I needed a modded PS2 that would boot a CDR. That pretty much shot me down as it would not let me continue on with the application.

Gary

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Gary, that's changed! You don't need a modded PS2 anymore - go ahead and sign up. I talked to the CTO last week and he told me that I could beta test. Now that they've received their real discs from Hong Kong anyone can beta test! BTW, I have the software and they are living up to their claims!!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Can you use this to access MP3s from a computer on a LAN? This is a neat idea... The dreamcast has something like that, where if you had a BBA, you can hook it up to your lan and play MP3s off your LAN via your dreamcast

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, that's how I use it! My PS2, my two computers, and my DSL modem are all connected via a workswitch. I just use the QCast Station (java program running on a PC) to set up which directories I want to access, and when I put the QCast Tuner software disc into my PS2, I can access them. You only need to set up your directories once as the software is dynamic and can find files you've added. Check them out at Broadq!

GaryP

Second Unit
Brian,
As of five minutes ago, I again attempted to sign up for beta testing. I was still redirected to the page that said I needed a PS2 that will boot a CDR. Once I get to this page it wont let me go any further in the questionnaire. Any suggestions?

Gary

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
GO ahead with the selection that asks if you have a modded PS2. You will be able to complete the survey. If you're having further problems, just give them a call or send an e-mail to their admin, Moe.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
GO ahead with the selection that asks if you have a modded PS2.
Really? I'd hate to get into the beta and not be able to use it...

This really does look like a cool product. When I finish building my new pc, my old one was going to be relegated to mp3 and xbconnect duties only, so this would be a sweet thing. Since i'm already running a cat 5 to my ps2 it will means less cables, which is always good.

Users who are viewing this thread