Qality of Canadian releases, and Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek Duncan, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Derek Duncan

Derek Duncan Stunt Coordinator

I know there is another thread simular to this one, but that one is about covers, so I didn't want to post in that one. My question is, I have never seen a Canadian DVD, I know it is region 1, but I wanted to know if the picture and sound quality is the same as american dvd's. Mainly if I got Harry Potter from Canada, will the picture and sound be the same as the american release. In another subject, I have been curious as to wich cover the Canadian Harry Potter DVD will have. I want to know from someone who lives in Canada, what poster was there at the theater, the black poster with the paintings(the American one)or the blue one with the pictures(the UK one), and wich one will the dvd have, all the online stores in Canada just show a picture of american release. I want to know because I can't stand the UK poster, please someone let me know, thanks.

Derek Duncan

2. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Yes, the quality is the same. There are a handful of DVD's, like Miramax titles, that are done by Canadian companies like Alliance. Some of these are just as good, some better, some worse. But 95% are the same as the US.
    I must say, though, that I am not impressed with the new biligual covers and I might be buying certain titles from the states because of this.
    You might want to check out this thead too:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...nadian+quality
    Jeff

3. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Actually , more interesting than the cover is the fact that the Canadian DVD version of the film is being released as HARRY POTTER & THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE which is the book's ( and film's ) original and correct title. Canadians also got this version in theatres.

The film and book were released only in the U.S. as ... SORCERER'S STONE and reportedly a few bits of dialogue were looped to replace the original references to "philosopher" in the worldwide cut.

This brings up a really fun debate for the purists on the board who are forever demanding things like OAR and "original" versions. Is the international version of HARRY really the definitive version of the film versus the "altered" American one ? I see a real surge in cross-border sales on this one !

4. Derek Duncan

Well that sounds great, I will be sure to order the Canadian release, I want the THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE, but can anyone please answer the question about the poster art, I really want to know because I don't like the UK poster art, but I like the American one, so I hope the cover will be the same as the pictures you see for the American one, but with the other title. I know someone from Canada looked at the poster as they were going in to the movie. Thanks.

Derek Duncan

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

The Canadian poster I believe retains the same art as the US release only with a change of title, so I can only assume and hope this is the case for the Canadian R1 disc. I agree the UK poster and DVD art is bloody awful.

Dan

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The scenes weren't looped, they were shot with the alternate dialogue.

7. Derek Duncan

That's great to hear, I want the U.S. art so bad, as for the looping, I know they shot alternative scenes, but I really want it because that is the name of the original novel, and every other country is getting it, I guess it kinda bugs me that we get another version, even if it is just a few lines.

Derek Duncan

8. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Having seen the Canadian cover today I can verify it is the black one with the title "Philosopher's Stone" in place of "Sorcerer".

All Warner discs for North America come from the US so quality differences shouldn't be an issue.

9. Derek Duncan

Thank God!!