Q: RF v composite from VCR to TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StuartW, Feb 14, 2002.

1. StuartW

StuartW Auditioning

If I have my (non-digital) cable connected to my (VHS) VCR, do I gain any advantage by using composite video to connect the VCR to the TV, as opposed to another coax to the TV's RF input?

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

What model TV are you running...

Are you using an audio/video receiver and outboard speakers; DVD player; and are you interested in using yr VCR for the tv signal tuner (thus bypassing the tv's own internal tuner, audio amplifier and speakers?).

Otherwise, running the composite (yellow-band) RCA to the tv is redundant with an RF feed. Now running to the receiver is another game...

3. StuartW

StuartW Auditioning

I currently have a mediocre Zenith 27" (don't know the model number), but I'm getting a JVC AV-32260 this weekend. I sometimes run the audio straight from the TV (mostly when my kids are watching their tapes; I DON'T need Barney in Surround), but mostly from the A/V receiver (Onkyo 595). However, I'm not using video switching in the receiver. I do have the VCR audio out going through the A/V receiver. So, will I notice better picture quality with a composite connection from the VCR to the TV, or is it about the same as RF?

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

My understanding is that your video PQ will be the same. On the 27in, you wud run the composite to A/V then back to the TV input for VCR video switching; but this isn't your plan, right? But make the composite video VCR to TV and just take a look.

Running the F-connector RF OUT from VCR to TV w/o the video cable allows you to watch one cable channel while recording it or recording another chl, and use the TV's internal amp/spkrs for less complicated family use.

EDIT: I have deleted a confusing sentence in my 1st graf that mixed audio and video output. Also, it may be that some tv inputs will read only RF or Video in, not both. Using another Video In also may require switching tv input; I think you want to keep the switching as easy as possible for the kids, yes?

5. Surge

Surge Auditioning

Bill, HOW U Doin' I did that a dew weeks ago (switched the RF or coax to the composite or yellow singlr wire for video) and the first words out of my daughters mouth when she saw one of her movies (Tarzan) were, Wow day what did you do,the movie is more colorfull and clear now. So I'm not going back to coax. The only drawback is that I have the

audio going through my receiver (HK AVR-300) and I don't like her messing with it. Anyway I kinda feel what your trying to do and think you should try it.

Good Luck.....

BTW I am new to this forum and hope I can be of some

help to anyone here. This is awsome, I've been looking

for a forum like this for so long, but not anymore.

Thanks...

6. Surge

Surge Auditioning

daww, First post here and already messed up.

My previous post was for StuartW. Sorry...

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Stuart, some elaboration, and not to beat this to death.

RF IN to the TV generally provides you w/ ANT A, or ANT B. The TV remote wud be switched to the appropriate input. The VCR will pass the cable broadcast signal and a videotape A/V to the tv without using the HT receiver

A separate video cable will input to, say, EXT 1 or EXT2, or Video1/Video2 or whatever your labeling. You wud have to switch to this input for the tape video signal. Who knows, this composite link might improve the PQ. I just popped in Apollo 13 VHS and watched both ways: RF ANT and EXT and didnt see any difference on my 27-inch w/ composite video cable.

Of course for OPTIMUM VCR PQ with your new JVC, you wud get an S-VHS unit to be able to run an S-Video cable from the VCR to the new JVC!

8. StuartW

StuartW Auditioning

Thanks for the replies, both of you. You're right, Bill, the main issue is keeping things easy for the kid (and wife). Most of my video watching is now DVD, and that will be a component input to the new TV. That said, I think I will try running both RF and composite from the VCR to the new TV, and see if there's a difference.