Q: MiniDisc MDLP quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Simonian, May 1, 2002.

1. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Hi, I am soon going to be getting a new minidisc recorder and it features "MDLP" recording.

Has anyone had any experience with MDLP? I was curious about the quality of the sound compared to the normal recording.

Thanx

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I absolutely CANNOT stand LP4 (320 min/disc), it sounds like a low bitrate MP3. LP2 (160 min/disc) sounds all right, but there is a noticeable attenuation to all of the upper frequencies.

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

SP mode is 292kbps, LP2 is 132kbps, and LP4 is 66kbps. Regular ATRAC (SP mode) has always been significantly better than standard MP3s (128-192kbps). LP2 sounds fine. LP4 should only be used for long-winded lecture recordings or something of that sort. Hope this helps.

Vinh

4. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Yes it does help. [​IMG]
    Thanx. I was expecting everyone not to like the LP4 mode. LP2 looks okay to try.

5. Michael St. Clair

In listening with Sennheiser headphones, I've found LP2 very acceptable for non-critical listening. If played through speakers in a non-reference environment, you probably aren't going to tell it from CD or SP MD.

LP4 should sound fine in the noisy environment of an automobile, or a on a boombox. I wouldn't use it elsewhere.