Q: Kit 281 - Sealed or Vented?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Payne, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Robert Payne

Robert Payne Auditioning

I've finally decided that I want to build a set of Kit 281s for my home theater.

Should I build the vented or sealed enclosures for my mains? I have a Tempest subwoofer to cover the low end. Would the vented enclosures add anything, really? Would the sealed sound better due to the different Q?

I plan to use them mostly for home theater, some music. Maybe 90% HT; 10% music.

Thanks,

-robert

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You could build them as ported (if you can handle the extra size), and then just stuff the ports up if you wanted to listen to them in a sealed fashion. It's the best of both worlds. For mainly HT, ported is probably the way to go (but having a beefy sub would lessen that aspect of consideration).

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I agree with Pat. (who doesnt?)

You would definitly get the best of both worlds. How do you make the port plugs?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You can use Nerf products. [​IMG]

5. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I built mine as ported and will be running them as large w/ the sub. I don't think they will be that much smaller as sealed. The top part is the same size. You're just replacing a stand with the ported lower section.

Rob