1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Q: How can I passowrd protect folders on my laptop computer?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Michael D. Bunting, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I dropped my 2-year old Sony VAIO laptop this morning [​IMG]

It boots up fine and everything seems to work except for two things (that I know of anyway)...: the CD-ROM (won't dsiplay anywhere) and the Internal 56K modem.

I have insurance coverage on it (for this very reason!) and I am to take it in for an estimate sometime this week.

I have a lot of pictures/documents from my work (I'm in the Air Force - but don't worry, no SECRET stuff!) that i don't want the tech's to be able to access.

Is there anyway I can passowrd protect a folder? Is there a program I can download that can do this? I know that they'll be able to see all this stuff if they really want to, but I'd at least like to go as far as I can - short of deleting it all.

Too bad I didn't back this stuff up [​IMG] I would hate to delete it all now. If only my CR-ROM drive (Burner) worked now...

Thanks for any help!

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Hi there. I've got just the thing you need. It's a freeware program called Folder Access. Go here to download it:

http://www.topdownloads.net/software/view.php?id=11463

I've been using it for about a month now. Another suggestion if you don't want the techs digging through your crap is to right-click on the folder, go to Properties and make it a hidden folder/file. You can find it again by going to My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View, "Show Hidden Folders." I always use this method when I have e-mails or webpages saved from buying a gift for my girl. It works like a charm. Presently I have my "secret" folder locked with Folder Access and then hidden on my c: drive.

3. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Sweet! Thanks for the quick help SethH!

4. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

What OS are you running?