Q: Frame width in widescreen Wonka?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicole P, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Nicole P

Nicole P Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Here in Australia we have the older 1.78 anamorphic PAL release of Wonka and the new 4:3 NTSC release. The new release is said to be open matte so I have just compared it against the PAL release.

I think it is really a combination of open matte and pan and scan. Most of the shots do show more vertical detail but crop the sides rather close. However the colour is much more vibrant and the transfer has obviously been tidied up.

I'm interested to know how the NTSC widescreen transfer compares picture-width-wise for the following examples.

1. At the start when the school children are running down the street - there is a beige VW in the shot. Is the whole car visible or does the rear bumper get cropped?

2. When Wonka plays the musical lock and Mrs. Teevee says "Rachmaninov", Violet is visible on the left. Is her whole face visible with space to spare between her left cheek and the edge of the picture?

3. When Veruca is singing "I want it now" and standing between the two egg polishing tables. She swings rapidly to face right, then left. When she faces left is her whole head in the shot?

The reason I am asking about 1 and 2 is that if the WS version shows all the picture, the full frame version is not true open matte.

Number 3 is a bit odd. Veruca's face gets cropped in the PAL widescreen but the full frame version pans and follows her face.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Nicole P.

2. Nicole P

Nicole P Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?

I have tried this out on my PC just to check that overscan is not getting in the way.

The observations remain the same.

Cheers,

Nicole P.