Q: Digital Audio inputs on a Sony STR-DB930

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Kizer, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Michael Kizer

Question for those familliar with the Sony STR-DB930.

The receiver has 5 digital audio inputs (4 optical, 1 coaxial) labelled as such:
    MD/DAT Optical Out
    MD/DAT Optical In
    TV/Sat Optical In
    DVD/LD Optical In
    DVD/LD Coaxial In

I currently have my DVD player connected to the DVD/LD Optical In. No other digital inputs are being used.

I just got a new HDTV cable box, that has a coaxial digtial audio output and I want to try and get DD5.1 audio for those broadcasts in HDTV that carry it. Normally, I view most cable TV via my TiVo which is connected to the standard audio inputs for TV/SAT.

I am not sure how the Sony receiver handles the digital audio inputs. Can I plug my cable box into the DVD/LD Coaxial In, and then when viewing either DVDs or HDTV cable the receiver will be on "DVD/LD" input, and when normally viewing TiVo/cable it will be on "TV/Sat"?

If the cable box digital audio output has to go to the TV/Sat Input on the receiver, is there a converter cable that will go from coaxial to optical (somehow I doubt this)?

Anyway, hope that is semi-clear... [​IMG]

2. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

A digital input is a digital input. Just because it is for the "DVD" source doesn't mean that you can't connect a Digital cable box or a CD player to it.

Connect the HDTV Cable box's coaxial digital output to the DVD coax digital input, since this is the only coax input you have. You can still use the DVD optical input for the DVD. Setup the receiver to automatically detect which of the two is being used. To do this, switch the source to DVD first, then repeatedly press the "Input Mode" button under the front panel door, until the display says "Auto". Note that in order to have the receiver correctly switch between the DVD player and the Cable box, you may have to actually turn off the component you don't want to listen to, to prevent it from confusing the receiver's automatic detection.

Of course, you can only send the DVD's video through the receiver, but you are likely using component video connections from the HDTV cable box directly to the TV, so this is not a concern for you.

(PS: the connector marked MD/DAT Optical Out is of course an output, not an input).

3. Michael Kizer

Thanks... That was what I as going to try, I just wanted to clarify that it should work before I go out and buy coaxial cable.