What's new

Q: CRT from Audio Video Source (1 Viewer)

San.S

Auditioning
Hi,

A dealer is selling a used CRT made by Audio Video Source for $4000.
It has 8 inch tubes and he says everything in it has been replaced including the lenses and upgraded to HDTV. The only thing that has not been touched is the guns and they have 8000 hours on them. He is also willing to give a money back guarantee for 90 days if something goes wrong.

Can someone please tell me if it would be a good buy or should I buy a new DLP for around the same price.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
8000 hours on crt's is quite a bit, especially for 4 grand. of your two choices, either buying this unit or a comparably priced new DLP, i'd recommend a third option: purchase a different crt projector. for $4k you should be able to find an 8 inch unit with new or rebuilt zero hour tubes or even a 9 inch unit with much less than 8000 hours.
you can find several crt tech's at AVS forum that refurb projectors and provide excellent value and post sales support. the guy that i'm getting my PJ from sends out an email every other sunday listing current and upcoming projectors.
drop me an email if you have any more questions or need any more info.
Craig

Garry S

Auditioning

I would be wary of a dealer that makes such a statement. The guns (tubes) are the most likely component to have a problem, and at 8000 hours this is VERY likely. There would be no reason (short of physical damage) to EVER replace the lenses, and there are no projectors that can be "upgraded" to HDTV - they either have the necessary resolution, or they don't!

$4000 should buy a much better projector than what you describe. It would be helpful to know what brand and model you are considering.

I agree with Craig - visit the AVS forum, go to the "CRT" section, and look for Curt Palme. He is the resident guru for crt pj's, and though I have not personally dealt with him, he has a great reputation and is obviously very knowledgable.

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
On AVS, search for Tim Martin / E Tech and see what he might have on hand in the way of CRT front projection. He is and amazing Electrohome technician and restores performance to better than new (yes, with proper set-up and preventative enhancements).
Other individuals previously mentioned in posts above are also top notch with their reputations and their expertise.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
1) No, it's not a good buy; and after 8000 hours in a commercial setting (high contrast), the blue and green tubes will be fried. Good CRT techs like Curt Palme should be able to sell you a Barco 808 or Marquee 850 with rebuilt (0 hour, as good as new.) tubes for about $4K. You may also be able to do a non-liquid coupled NEC XG with new tubes. An NEC 9PG with new tubes or Ampro 3600 with low hour/rebuilt tubes will be less.

2) Don't forget that none of the used CRT projectors you'll run into for a reasonable price will have any sort of video processing on-board. Video scaling is _required_ (interlaced video looks horrid) with the type depending on the resolution of the projector (a tripler or better will be required for EM focus projector to avoid visible scan-lines, quadrupler on 9" projectors). The Quadscan Elite is very affordable ($600 ball park), and you can also use PCs configured for DVD playback.

2) DLP projectors give me headaches. As much as I'd like a compact digital, the technology is not there yet.

3) Unless you get a deal on an Ampro 4600, you probably want to stick with 8" EM focus unit because the rest of the affordable 9" EM projectors have issues (Sony 1292 _requires_ a hushbox and has some streaking problems we haven't yet figured out; parts availability may be a poblem for the NEC 10PG; and that's about it)

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
It does not sound like a good deal at all based on hours. Hours alone don't say a whole lot. Without knowing model and actual tube condition it's hard to tell. The below site shows/gives examples of tube wear.
http://home.centurytel.net/rshannon/crtburn.htm
I've seen great deals on high hour projectors with very little tube wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks