Q: Aftermarket Auto Warranty

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by AllenD, Feb 8, 2006.

1. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Hi all. I'm getting ready to buy a 2003 Z71 Silverado from a GM dealer. It has a lift so I know GM will not warranty the vehicle. Now I'm looking into aftermarket warranty. I've never bought an aftermarket warranty so I don't have much experience with such companies. If you have any opinions and personal experience you can share, I would really appreciate it.

Thank You

2. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Are you sure they wont offer a warranty? I would think that if they are willing to sell it on there lot they would be willing to warranty it. Usually if they take in a vehicle on trade that dosnt meet there specs they will just auction it off, or so I thought.

Edit- Btw, I would be pretty leary about buying a modified truck. It implies to me that the previous owner wasnt to gentle with that truck. If he used it to tow heavy stuff or for offroading it could lead to premature transmision and/or suspension problems.

3. Stephen J*

Stephen J* Stunt Coordinator

Make sure that the dealer that you'll be servicing the vehicle, and potentially using the warranty at will honor the aftermarket warranty that you're considering.

Got burned years ago on one that the dealer didn't honor (didn't buy it through them, so it's not like it was the dealer's fault).

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

There isn't a manufacturer in the world that will make warranty repairs for problems caused by aftermarket modifications, and rightly so.

In my experience as a dealership tech, problems not caused by the aftermarket modifications are covered however, so no matter how badly some idiot butchers the suspension, if their cd player quits the factory will pay to fix it.

We do honor non-factory extended warrantys, and we dealership techs actually prefer getting non-factory extended warranty work than factory warranty or factory extended warranty work, as the non-factory companies pay the standard Mitchell (Mitchell is the industry-standard flatrate estimation guide) flatrate while the factory only pays what's allowed in the factory flatrate book, which is usually about half the time it actually takes to do the job.

One disadvantage is that aftermarket warranty companies vary widely as to their willingness to use OEM parts or even good aftermarket new or rebuilt parts. We've had some companies actually ship us used wrecking yard junk parts to make repairs. Others are fly-by-night operations that disappear long before the warranty expires.

5. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Look into the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act if you want to read up more on aftermarket parts and how they affect manufacturers warranties.