Q: Adding amp to receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KevinWEL, Aug 21, 2003.

1. KevinWEL

KevinWEL Stunt Coordinator

If I have a receiver with pre outs and add an amp to drive the front channels, does the rated power in the receiver get distributed to the remaining channels? Will this increase all the channels from maybe a 100x6 (in a 6.1 setup) to say 120x4?
    Just wondering if I should keep my old Adcom stereo amp.

Thanks in advance!
    Kevin

2. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

No, it doesn't work that way, however, you would be taking some strain off of the receiver which might improve things somewhat on the remaining channels.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Actually it might help, depending on the receiver. Any amp is only as good as its power supply, and many home theater receivers will not deliver their maximum power if all channels are driven to the max simultaneously. If yours is one of these, relieving a couple of amp channels from duty would increase available current (and therefore power) to the other channels.

But even if your receiver is able to deliver maximum power no matter what you throw at it, it doesn’t it never hurts to use an outboard amp. Typically outboard amps are much more robust than those in a receiver; if I had an Adcom laying around, I’d for sure use it (oh wait, I am! [​IMG] ).

Not to mention, relieving some of the receiver’s internal amps means the receiver will run cooler – which will probably contribute to longevity.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt