Q about shows in 480p

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PS Nystrom, Feb 6, 2002.

1. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

I watch a fair amount of FOX programming and was wondering if members recommend sending the channel's 480p shows (24, Malcom, etc) through 480p? Hang on, that question doesn't make sense. Let me try again... My Samsung SIR-T150 has multiple resolution output modes - 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i - right now I've got it set to 1080i. So, when watching a 480p show like 24, will it look better if I switch the decoder's output to 480p instead of 1080i? Has anyone tried this? Color me curious.

Pieter

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Pieter,

It depends on your display device actually and how well (or if) it scales 480p and/or 1080i to its native resolution.

For example, my projector only accepts 480i, 540p and 1080i through component, so I *can't* output 480p from a device, it has to be scaled to one of my acceptable input formats.

The 480p native will have to scale to 1080i via the STB, which IIRC isn't done too well by the current crop of STBs.

What type of TV/Projector do you have? That will help determine what the best input to it will be...

3. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

I've got the Panasonic 47" widescreen which does do 480i/p and 1080i.

4. Paul Jenkins

Do you know what the native resolution is on the Panny TV? Or have the TV Model# to look up the specs?

5. Miles M

Miles M Agent

Maybe this is a little off the topic, but....

In my opinion, it won't make a whole lot of difference. The problem here is that these shows are usually shot in 480i, so Fox is merely upconverting them to 480P and calling it HDTV(really it is SDTV). This was obvious when watching the Superbowl this past weekend. The Superbowl was shot in 480P and the picture was noticeably better than most of the 480P stuff coming from Fox(but still nowhere near as good as REAL HDTV.) My advice: Start watching CBS shows, my hats off to this broadcast network on their HDTV show lineup.

6. Miles M

Miles M Agent

Sorry but I forgot to ask Paul. What type of TV do you have? I am not sure their spec. rating, but I thought 480P and 540P were the same thing? It's just manufacturers trying to outdo there competitors by confusing the consumer. I thought the 540P spec. merely included video blanking lines not normally quoted in specs. Then, have you actually tried switching to 480P on your STB? I think it should still work.

7. Paul Jenkins

yes, I've tried it, they aren't the same (at least for my projector [​IMG])
    I have a Sony VPL-W400Q. Just hooked up a Panasonic TU-HDS20 HDTV reciever today (OTA only for now). Picture is stunning [​IMG]

8. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

9. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

10. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

11. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Yes. The Super Bowl was 480i and then upconverted at the local affiliate.

Malcolm in the Middle and others are filmed and then transfered at 480p for broadcast. Thus, the shows look better than FOX's Super Bowl. Had the Super Bowl looked as good (relatively speaking) as the regular 480p shows, there wouldn't be as many PQ complaints.