What's new

Q about Norah Jones SACD - does this happen to you? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Hi all,

I just received my Norah Jones SACD. What can I say - her voice is incredible.

Sadly, I'm having some weird problems with the first track ("Don't know why"). If I raise the volume on it, her voice sounds so powerful in the mid range it hurts my ears... even though the rest of the music isn't as loud. It's incredibly hard on my ears.

The rest of the album doesn't suffer as much from this.

Is this situation happening to everyone else?

TIA!

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Javier,
I think I know what you're talking about. I actually think it's worse on the Redbook CD, where at several places (the loudest passages), I think the mic is clipping and the sound is distorted as well as loud. It's better on the SACD. I wonder if it is something we'll have to live with though. I read somewhere (or maybe it's on the DVD) that this cut was recorded as a demo and not in the same studio as the rest of the songs, and that Norah was somewhat surprised it ended up in the CD.
Jim

MarkO

Second Unit
I have the CD and its defiantly recorded on the "hot" side. There are numerous complaints on many Internet forums about it.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Thanks all! I thought my speaker system was all wrong... I'd definitely say her first song is the worst recorded of them all.

A real tragedy, since her album is *SO* good, BTW.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmm I'll check this out when I get home (redbook layer of the SACD, I don't have the regular CD) and post my results.

Oooh, I just bought a Rat Shack SPL meter so let's see if I can find something out from it (doubt it). :D

Jack Dotson

Agent
Yes, I noticed this too and I have Maggie 1.6's which really do justice to female vocals. Unfortunately there are many CD's out there recorded this way. I think they do this because the mass market of people like the boost on their cheaper systems that are not so revealing. Another good example of this is Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head. I really like this and want to crank it up to hear that fantastic piano. However, when I do the lead vocals become so harsh and irritating that it's hard to listen to. I've been hoping they would re-master this one on multi-channel SACD. What a great one this could be.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Jack, I thought I had mentioned something about using electrostatic speakers in my first post - turned out I didn't. I could relate to your situation, since my speakers also sound beautiful with female vocals, but Jones' SACD is unlistenable at high levels.

Oh, well :frowning: Thanks for your comment!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks