Q about matching speakers/receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Szott, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Hi,

Ive been shopping around for a new receiver to match with my new speaker setup: 4 JBL S36 and an Sii center channel. Some excellent suggestions on model #s in another thread, but what family of receivers would sound good with JBLs? I hear a lot of talk of matching warm receivers with bright speakers and vice versa, so is JBL S speakers bright or warm? And what company lines match well with them typically (Pioneer, HK, Denon, Sony, Others?)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Joe. Check this thread out.
    Here
    Good Luck.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Quite frankly, better you should look at the room you're putting your speakers in, to determine if it's going to cause problems in general. For example, a room with hard floors, windows, hard surfaces is going to just a bit 'lively' and unfriendly to anything you put in there with the exception of a set of headphones.

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Chu - It's just a normal room, 4 walls and a carpeted floor. There are 2 couches in there and some window coverings, so I would say it's not really warm or cool to begin. Pretty neutral, maybe a little echo if you took all the furniture/stuff out of the room.

I don't really have a very complex system, it will be the satelitte box/DVD/CD player pushing everything through the receiver to the JBL speakers.

What I'm really interested in is what kind of receivers (not pre/amp setups) do people find sound good with JBL studio class speakers in general?

If it all depends though, then I guess it all depends.