What's new

Q about build set of fronts (1 Viewer)

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of building a set of bookshelf enclosures and a center channel enclosure for my burgining HT. What I am wondering is should I use the same speakers for the center as are sued in the mains? That is to say, if I was to use (this is just an example) a vifa 6.5 for the midbass and a vifa tweet in the mains, would the same set be the best option for the center channel, or would a 5.25 be a better choice?

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
The "general" opinion is that if you have the room, matching speakers are the best solution for mains/centers. It keeps the voicing the same across the front. There will be some tradeoffs if you lay an MTM on its' side for center duty but most people find it quite acceptable.

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
MTM, that is Mid-tweeter-mid correct? As in the placement of the drivers, a tweet flanked by a midrange on either side?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
That's right. The ideal set up would be to have three identical speakers accross the front. Even if you have to lay it on it's side. YOu don't need smaller drivers or an MTM for the center.

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, now, would it be best to have the same drivers all the way around? Basically, build 6 sets of speakers? Having the same driver setup for the mains, rears, f/r centers?

Ashley Carr

Auditioning
That depends on what the main use for the speakers will be. If you listen to a lot of CDs or stereo signals, you may want to beef up the mains. But if they're mainly for HT, identical speakers would be the way to go (I think Dolby recommend this).

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi Aaron,

First of all, with the size drivers you're considering, bass will be not that great for Movies, but coupled with a nice subwoofer, any speakers that extend down to 80Hz or so will be great - if you can have matching drivers all round then even better, as it will allow the sub to be able to match all channels, thus giving improved frequency response at the low crossover point (Supplied from the receiver)

My current plan sounds similar. I'm in NZ, and thus can only get a small range of speakers that are cost effective, one of which happens to be the Vifa range. I'm currently tossing up between a P17/D27 sealed arrangement (Bookshelf style all round) or a M13/?? ported arrangement.

The sealed setup has better bass response (slower rolloff) but is larger (10 litre) while the vented has a 24dB rolloff at 80Hz but is only half the size. I still haven't decided on a tweeter to pair with the M13's yet. The problem with most of the Vifa tweeters is their faceplate is 104mm diameter, which means a tall baffle. If I could find some nice smaller ones that would be much better (Small = good WAF)

Cheers
Jonathan

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the repsonces. Jonathan, I am not really sure what models to look at, but I have heard good things about the vifas and they seem to be in my price range. I am planning possible setup arrangements, but I am nowhere near even picking a driver set yet. I will keep doing research and trying to listen to as many sets as I can though.

Has anyone had any experiance with the planar tweets that PE has?

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
If you are consider a Vifa set, check out selahaudio.com. Rick has a RC2 budget kit that you might like. I just got done building 3 of them for across the front. Built them sealed and crossed with a tempest sonosub and they are outstanding. Rick Craig is very helpful and can answer any of your questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks