Q about amps and recievers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Larson, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Really d'oh question:

Do you need an amplifier with a reciever? I'm getting a reciever (Marantz), so will i also have to use an amplifier?

Yours confusedly,

-M

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

No, unless you get advanced in you HT doings, a typical rec. has all the amps you need built in.

A modern HT rec has 4 things -

Processor (Decodes digital formats like Dolby and dts)

Tuner

Preamp

Digital-to-analog converter (DAC), which is like another processor.

You will get / want a subwoofer soon, which has an amp built into the box, or you can get a version that used a stand-alone amp. It will get it's signal from a jack on the back of the rec.

Hope this helps.

- CM

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Mark,
    Like Colin said, the receiver will have built in amplifiers for the main channels, so extra amps are not necessary.
    However:
    The receiver will not have an amplifier output for the subwoofer.
    So, either you will purchase a subwoofer which has an onboard amplifier (sometimes referred to as a "plate amplifier" and the sub itself, if it comes with an amp with be called a "powered subwoofer)-- or you will purchase an unpowered sub and an outboard amp to power it (this is often how SVS sells their subs).
    In addition- some receivers that offer 6.1 processing (dolby EX/DTS ES which offer a rear center channel)-- do not offer an amp channel to power the rear center channel. This was primarily an issue with the very first generation of receivers offering 6.1... but it is something to keep a look out for-- because if you end up with one of those receivers you'll need an external amp to run a rear center.
    Hope that helps
    Vince

4. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Thanks guys, i just wanted to make sure... Now will be waiting till i get my stuff.

I hope it has outputs for subwoofer though!