PYLE raw subwoofers/have they ever built?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Geoff L, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Has this company (PYLE) ever built any "decent to excellent" 8-10-12-15-18" Raw subwoofers?????

Trying to get info on any higher end Pyle sub driver is, well like forget it! They don't answer email, at least mine or another good friend that has also tried for me. And their spec'ed TS-params are always just the barest of min, and I mean generaly the barest!

Not really enough to do any serious simming/modeling thing with.

Any inside Pyle phone #'s I have been able to aquire from some of my wholesalers, always ends the same. PYLE says, well have someone get back to you on this, can I have you pnone number and then they never do contact me back! [​IMG]
    I don't think they have every heard of Xsus, X-mag, Xmax, Qes, Qms, SD, BL, RE, etc...

Just curious if anyone has ever played with any of their RAW subs be it home, car, or pro drivers, in sub cabinets and what you thought at the end of your playing...? [​IMG]
    Please mention the sub driver & size if you can remember what it was.

I am VERY aware ~{they make a Ton of junk}~ along with some of their better stuff...

Any thoughts, and or "real life experience with their better subwoofers be it (car, home, pro, I don't care), would be much apreciated.

Thanks
    Geoff

2. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

Very low end subs. I would not bother with them.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Mark

In general yes they build a ton of junk, low end stuff.

At the same time I wonder how they have managed to keep afloat and building lots of stuff in all relems of audio, from Home, to Car, and Pro Audio... This is just the driver & driver encloser end of things, they also have their fingers in the electronic portion of things.

Their pro amps are definitely nothing to brag about, thats for sure. Those are the one and only thing I have seen and heard. For the money ~{I really thought they would sound much worse}~ than they did!!!!
    Certainly not the Pro Amp low dollar find of the year by any means.

Just curious about a couple subs they have built in the last 2 years, or had built. Externaly they look good, cast baskets, aluminum cones, swen tinsel leads, etc. This is all cosmetic and can mean nothing when it comes right down to the real guts of the driver.

Well I had one of my wholesalers (not PE) ship me one of these new 12" 47lb beasts to have a look at. I'll more than likely send it back, but at least this way I can check it out a little more in depth. I will see if I can get Meniscus to measure the driver for me. Then I'll build something quick up for it and try it out.
    In the end, it might be a waste of time, but that will be all, just my time and Meniscus fee for measuring the driver.
    I think they still do that, they used to anyway.

Meniscus Audio is a real nice place for those thay may not know of them. Their a DIY-er supplier here in west MI.

Thanks again for your straight up input Mark (put in such a nice way to), pretty much my take to this point also. Pyle=mostly junk!!!!

Cheers
    Geoff

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Although I've never owned Pyle gear, just their name makes me start thinking: "Pyle of crap."

Maybe, some of their stuff is actually good. However, with all of the other reputable companies out there, I don't see a need to buy such an item to save a few bucks ... only buy something that is cheap garbage.

5. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

None of there stuff is good. I would not waste my time and money getting it tested at Meniscus Audio.

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Wayne

Yes, Pyle=pile generaly.

It's not a question of saving a few dollars cause I am trying to build a sub. I have plenty of good/well respected drivers, some in use, many just setting, some are already modeled with a plan to build something (someday) :b, and a few that I just don't know what I'll do with them.
    Just setting, 2-MW-612's, 2-orig SVS, 1-Shiva, 1-Titantic, all 12's.
    A couple 10" Credence drivers, but their about to go into mini SVS PB-1 looking subwoofers for a friend.
    Couple other car drivers in their also, which brands I cant remember, a Aluminumn PT-ICBM 12 and a couple others.
    Also have 3 or 4 plate amps just sitting, 2-PE-250's in their boxes, 1-CV-300-450 in the box, and something smaller from PE, cant remember which one.

Darn, I really should have a sale cause this hobby has me with a closet full of amps and drivers. Alway building something, but seems their usually for my friends...

The Pyle thing:
    This is simply a curiousty deal, actually been thinking about it sence I ran acros these two different 12" drivers at one of my wholesalers in Ohio. Considering I can grab one these beast (weight wise), for a measly 50.00 dollars. The mark up on drivers and electronics is just un-belivable.
    List on the one 12" Pile/Pyle driver I will have coming is 189.99.

The other 12" cast driver (20.5-lbs) list for 149.99, but can be had threw them for 45.00. This is with out even haggeling, and usually I can get another few bucks off..
    I need to place an order for a large number of things Monday, and the larger the order the better the haggeling goes on all products I may order.

As I stated, I'm just curious to see if it's truly a pile of "junk or mild junk", [​IMG],, ~{or actually might be a decent 12" subwoofer}~....
    If I were a betting man, I got go with what you all seem to be saying, run Forest run like hell!

A little off subject:
    I just picked up 3-sub drivers from Elemental Designs. A 10-incher and 2-12's from their K series.. These go threw 2 different testing stops, one at assembley and then again after being received at ED for shipping to customers.
    Turns out I have a BAD 12, I mean really bad, took it out of the box today and the coils are cooked or miss aligned so bad that the cone will hardley move and sounds like a meat grinder in their.
    Needless to say I'm disapointed just from the aspect of (time) in sending it back, and then waiting for a replacement to arrive.

The O, K, and Kx series model quite nice for HT. Very interesting cone on their current drivers, it's totally flat super light and very strong, Made of something called Nomenex. Anyway one is in it's sealed cabinet and slowly burning in, and just sounds un-real. Very pleased with these drivers even tho I have one to get replaced and it's brand new![​IMG]

After waiting for months for the new TB long throw 6 to be come available, I picked up a ED Kx10 for like next to nothing and will be building a sealed sub around that. Works in quite a small cabinet with nice extension.
    Bill was super nice to speak with (owner) and was very helpfull in my excellent pricing.

For those that might want to have a look at some of Elemental Design aAudios drivers, heres their site address:

http://Edesignaudio.com

BACK to the Pyle thing:
    Anyway, Pyle or "Pile", I'll soon see in a week or so just how this driver is really spelled........

Cheers
    Geoff

7. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

Geoff,

The owner of Elemental Designs is Ben. His drivers aren't to bad. I've owned one of the A series, but don't have any experience with the other series of drivers.

And I know what you mean about stuff laying around...I'm putting a car audio system into my car this summer just cuz the fiance is complaining about all the stuff laying around and I don't have anywhere else to put it. I've also had to hide 3 shiva's, 2 or 3 plate amps, 4 15" Dayton IB's.

As far as the Pyle stuff, it isn't very high quality as I'm sure you know. Everything in this industry seems to have it's place though. If you're a broke 16 year old that only has $50, pyle has some stuff that isn't a total rip off in that price range. Heck, even one of the moderators over at a car audio forum put some $30 pyle subs in his Baja.

As far as selling pyle stuff, I know I would not want to do that. IMHO getting someone to pay $100 on one of pyle's subs, even the better ones, would be difficult.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I had a set of Pyle separates (5.25" woofers, 1" tweeters, separate XO) that I bought from BB about 10 years ago. I was really impressed with them for the $99 I paid for them. Definitely not as nice as the MB Quarts that I replaced them with but hell, we're talking 99 bucks here! [​IMG]

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Oh ghesh, can't belive I gave Ben a second name... For some reason had Bill stuck on the brain.
    Sorry Ben M, I guess your second name is Bill at my house. :b

No,,,,, I would never think of selling Pyle equipment of any kind, and only this one 12" driver is just to satisfiy my curiousity, period...
    Even in the low dollar arena, their are much better home or car audio brands of electronics and drivers to be had out their...!

I'm not into car audio much anymore at all. Left that pretty much behind about 4 or so years ago. Home audio and HT carrys my attention now.

Speaking of ED I have to call them Monday, I unfortunatly got one bad 12 out of the two I picked up. Took it out of the box today and the VC's are trashed. How it passed two inspections I'll never know, but the sheet said it tested out to spec fine and was signed by XXXX...
    The first 12 is up and running and sounds very good, actually quite impressed with it for the money. Definitely a different looking driver than the norm when it comes to the cone thats for sure.

Well back to work on the lil 10" sub I'm working on right now. Got some MDF to cut tonight...

Regards
    Geoff

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Well called on Monday to place a order for a number of things and was told that the new driver I was going to grab is not in yet. They expected a new Pile/Pyle "whoops" product shippment Thursday. So called today and ordered my stuff & turns out the driver is still not released and in stock with them yet.

Here a pic's of it showing a rather interesting basket design and a White-ish Grey surround..

I asked if he had any information on it at all, aside from still waiting on them, and to this point No, he has nothing except their damn heavy 12's...

Regards
    Geoff