PW 2200 vs. Carver Sunfire Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thad_C, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

Does anyone have an opinion regarding which sub I should purchase: the Paradigm PW 2200 ($799) vs. the Carver Sunfire ($850)? Any recommendations or comments are greatly appreciated!

Thad

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

At that price I would definitely look at the SVS subs.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Little piece of info about the PW2200 I recently learned. It is an 83L enclosure with a 16" long 5" diameter port. This equates to a 30hz tuning (edit: maybe down as low as 27hz with some stuffing).

4. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I guess out of those two I would get the Carver Sunfire, but isn't the Sunfire True Sub Jr. like $900, and that would be a step up in performance, and its a really cute small cube.

5. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

Thad:

If you can get to Canada to purchase the PW2200, I think it is the best value in subwoofing. I got my 2200 in Ontario for $460 USD (all taxes were rebated). If you can't get north, I would recommend looking into both the Adire and SVS subwoofers. At $800, I don't believe the PW2200 is a bargain - too much competition.

Jk

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

From a performance/cost standpoint...it's not even close...the PW2200 just toasts the sunfire. The only reason to consider the little cubes is if that's the only way you can fit a sub in a room.

TV

7. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

Thanks for the input. A trip to Canada isn't going to happen for me for a while, otherwise the PW 2200 would be the cost-effective option.

I didn't know that SVS offered a sub in that range, at least not a powered sub or sub-plus-amp. I'll check it out.

I'm going to test out the Sunfire Jr. today. I'm not sure based on what I've read that it will have quite the authority of a SVS or PW 2200.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Both the SVS20-39PCi($650) and the Adire Audio Dharman ($599) will best the PW2200.

9. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

I stand corrected, I tested the Carver Knight Shadow subwoofer. It was incredibly tight, and it filled the large room well. As a audio neophyte, I was impressed with the sound from such a small cabinet. It wasn't as boomy as the PW 2200. Now all I need to do is to figure out how to test an SVS.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well from my understanding the cheapest way is to try and find someone local who would be willing to demo for you.

The easiest way would be to order one for the 45day trial period. If you decide it's what you want you haven't wasted anything. If you decide it isn't what you want I think you are out shipping one way (you should email SVS about that). I think it ends up being around $40USD or something.

11. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

The Sub Jr has received some very nice reviews (as has the PW2220). Granted, the Sub Jr will not perform like an 18 inch sub but look at the output levels that were measured in the attached "Secrets" review. Simply amazing for such conidering the size of the Jr.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...or-2-2002.html

12. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I just want to add that I think the True Jr. is great for small home theatres, computer gaming, or if you have WAF issues. If not, go for the SVS. There's nothing out there that can come close for the price. I have the Sub Jr but my plan is to slowly bring my wife on board with the True Jr, move it to the den in about a year when I buy a new computer, and add an SVS next year. [​IMG]