What's new

PW-2200 Beats SVS....NOT!! (1 Viewer)

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes,

I love the Kanadian mindset. They won't buy superior gear because of exchange rates ! ! ! Wow....how....K A N A D I A N
Now we Amerikans on the other hand just go out and DO IT ! ! !
Dudes, I think the time is ripe for the invasion we've all been waiting for. Soon Paradigm will become an AMERIKAN company. I figure it'll take about 2000 home theater enthusiasts using discontinued power amps as clubs and 12 guage speaker wire to tie up captured enemy. Together we will free our northern neighbors from their imprisoned minds.
Oh, by the way dudes, I have the HSU VTF-2 subwoofer which is based in my native Kalifornia (uber alles). A superior subwoofer to the SVS in my humble opinion.

Dudes,

Chester

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
Ummm... it's not the exchange rate per se, it's what the exchange rate affects. Which is the cost of an svs.

In Canada
SVS = expensive
Paradigm = less expensive

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Ernie dude,

Cost is relative dude...get whatever makes you the happiest.

Dude,

:emoji_thumbsup:

Chester

p.s. prepare for the onslaught....defend yourself (to make it sporting)

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator

Okay...I will get a case a beer and a sling shot to defend ourselves eh!! lolololol.....lets rock...oh yeah...I will have to remember the back bacon too eh....all in good fun...:) :) oh yeah almost forgot to mention....we do take U.S. funds LOLOLOLO

Cheers..John

PS: I believe SVS and Paradigm make good quality products..I guess it boils down to who you can get the best price from factoring in the exchange rate etc....

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have no regrets at all going with the three 25-31CS+s. I have all tuning options available and with the headroom needed to do so. Being stuck in the 16 hz tune (not a bad thing) is not what I myself would want. The way things stand I can play anything at what-ever level and what-ever tune and not put a strain on things. I do calibrate the same as anyone else would so excessive bass is not my goal. Authority is but again not excessive, boomy, sloppy......

Baked Ham! Sure that sounds good mike but SVS is used to selling more than one sub to each customer. Once you try one, basically your a costumer for life 99.9% of the time. Still a can of spam shouldn't be to much to expect though:laugh:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't audition a sub unheard huh? I guess you wouldn't consider an infinite baffle arrangement huh? :) I'm getting ready to saw a big 16x16 hole in my wall any day now and I haven't heard it yet. (Heck I don't even know if the old Crown amp I have for the project work!)

Jerry T

Agent
Hi all,

Think my last post was two years ago, lol. Anyhoo, it maybe just the right time for me to upgrade my SvSs again. :)

I live in Vancouver and about 4yrs ago i ordered my first pair of 20-39CSs #81 and #82. These puppies were all i need in my 12X18 room with opening until SVS offered upgrades at a discount. I sold my subs to another Canadian HTF member in Manitoba and inturn ordered a pair of 16-46CS PLUSs which i still currently own.(#35, #36 i think)

But each day i dream of owning a pair of B4-PLUSs. Can never have too much bass right? ;)

Chester dude has a point, get what you want. But imo to have the very best, you've gotta get SVS.

Friend of my purchased a $10000CAN sub and im afraid to show him my $2500CAN SVSs. :D Might make him cry.

Ive ordered 2 pairs of SVS subs and will not hesitate to order from them again. Even with the added duty, taxes and exchange rate, the cost of the SVS is still worth every cent. (Wonders what 2 B4-PLUSs final cost will be with better exchange rate this time around :))

Like most SVS owners, im a SVS customer 4 Life.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Well, my SVS PC-Ultra is sitting on the loading dock down stairs. My neighbor, who works on the shop floor, gets off at 3:00 and is going to take it to my place. My boss said I could leave early to help with my sub.

Come on 3:00

BTW, UPS put a nice size rip in the side of the box, but I don't think they got to the sub. Fingers crossed!!

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
Yikes! with all the reviews online its a no brainer to take the chance, especially with a what ? 90 day return policy ?

my 25-31PC+ sounds great with my Paradigms!!!!!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I just sent an e-mail to Ron, Tom, and Erik over at SVS:

Hey SVS Gang,

I just wanted to let you know that my PC-Ultra arrived today and sounds
fantastic. I spent a little while calibrating it with Avia, and then
listened to some of my favorite jazz CD's...sweet!! Then we put in Monsters
Inc. and really got a kick out of the "sock explosion" scene. The pant legs
of my sweats moved!! Love the PEQ.....got rid of a 40Hz peak in my room.

My wife said she really likes the looks of the sub. I guess some guys have a
problem with the WAF factor. But a wife that will let me drag in huge flat
panel speakers like my Magnepan MG1.6's doesn't even blink an eye on that
good looking cylinder sitting in the corner. Looks like I will have to go
ahead and sell that PW-2200....don't need it!!

Once again, after several years of indecision, I'm really glad I finally
pulled the trigger on a SVS sub!! You are a great company to do business
with, and I am glad my sub didn't arrive with any damage. .

Take care,
Alan Pummill

Needless to say, I am very, very, happy with my new PC-Ultra!! SVS and Maggies....a match made in heaven....and built in America!!

cabreau

Second Unit
I'd have an SVS instead of my PW-2200 right now if I wasn't sort of "forced" to upgrade "like" items when I traded my old stuff in last Christmas. But I'm happy enough with what I have and the Pandora's box won't be opened until I HEAR an SVS I guess. :)

Hearing an SVS is sort of like teaching someone to see rainbows in a DLP projector. Don't do it, they'll hate you for it afterwards. :)

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that paradigm is a better solution in canada than svs for one main reason other than money, If anything ever goes wrong with the svs and you have to ship it back, it would be a huge pain, where as my b&m retailer is excellent and will either excange on the spot or give you a suitable loner until it gets fixed. Now svs guys what would a servo 15 be equivelent to a svs. i just bought one to go along with my pw2200. just for kicks i got out my bass comp cd and did a test with both subs turned 63% gain, voulme a couple db's short of ref, a 20 by 20 room 9 foot celings and sub trim on -2(it goes to +10)
and sub 8 feet away from sitting position on concrete floor. 20 hz and was hitting 117db and 25 was 120 now myself and my friend thought that seemed high but after 2 different rat shak meters confirmed i was impressed. crisspatt $900 for a SERVO nice:emoji_thumbsup:

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Well after 2 years with the PW-2200, I'll have to say I really liked that sub. It went well with my Monitors.

But the SVS is in a whole different league for both movies and music. But if I lived in Canada, the Servo 15 would get a good look from me.

I wonder what SVS a Servo 15 would match up against. Maybe a 25-31 PCi. And in the States, that Servo would cost about 3 times as much as that SVS!!

I've sold all of my Paradigms, except the PW-2200. Can't hardly give it away!!

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan,

No quite. SVS products certainly can fail but it's rare. When that does happen, the modular design typically allows a replacement part to solve the problem the first time. Probably 95% of the few failures we have are handled that way. The rest we send a new sub entirely and have the problematic unit picked up. Sending a sub to the shop "for repair" happens in probably less than .1% of service issues.

Even with many thousands of subs out in customers' hands all over the world I can pretty much recall every one of the very few that had to come back for repair.We cover all the costs in most cases too.

Given that taking any sub to a dealer for repair can be something of a PITA, I like to think our approach to fixing ... say a dead woofer... means you never leave your keyboard even. I'd rather install a woofer than drive across town during rush hour traffic that's for sure 8^)

Working with local dealers certainly can be viable, if they are near by, competent, and sympathetic (an increasingly rare thing in consumer electronics, so I hope you keep supporting yours Nathan!). Still, working a service issue with SVS would arguably be as easy or easier all things considered perhaps.

Comparisons are best done by customers with both or reviewers with both I suppose. Even with import costs I think similar price points would have an SVS compare quite nicely. Of course I have to honestly believe that or it'd be pretty hard to go to work every day ;^)

Ron

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
Ron: "I'd rather install a woofer than drive across town during rush hour traffic that's for sure" 8^)

I agree!!!!! I would rather not haul any speaker to a store and have them do the replacement or maybe even dent or damage it cosmetically. thats what I dont like about my Paradigms. if I need a replacement speaker the dealer does it and I dont feel comfortable going out of my way and hauling a heavy speakr to the store for something I can easily do myself.

all speaker co.'s should work the way SVS does. BTW: I love my 25-31PC+ Ron! :)

ChrisPATT

Stunt Coordinator
Good match... except that the Servo has a bigger amp, is 15" instead of 12, can go lower, and is a servo sub... take out those things and it's a good match.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks