What's new

PVRs (1 Viewer)

Bino

Auditioning
Hi guys,

Been a long time since I had enough time to read here (well, actually I have less now, but I need an answer for a burning question, so...).

Anyway, just wondering what the best PVR out there is now? I have a TIVO, got lifetime, and absolutely cannot freaking live w/o it (I sound just like every other TIVO addictee, eh?). But problem is that the new TIVO Series2 stuff is so weak, it makes me sick.

I mean, I got the Philipps 60 hr one back when they were selling it, so the new one has no real enhanced features for me over the Series one as far as I can tell (the big selling point of the Series 2 is that they have a 60 hr version). My thing is that I want TWO tuners!!!

But on the other hand, I know that ReplayTV at least even currenty has a web-enabled access for their recorders, which is just SO awesome. Does it also have two tuners? Any other cool features to be aware of?

Also, what about UltimateTV from MS? I know it had two tuners, so I think I'd get one if I could, but I heard something about it's demise recently...?

And one more thing; I might be getting DirecTV, and was wondering how the PVRs for that are different from the normal TIVOs? As in, why do they cost less?! And is there only one option there (i.e. TIVO?)

Any advice to guide me on a new purchase of a PVR would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

BINO

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
The DirecTivos record the digital bitstream, then do the conversion to analog. A program recorded on the DTivo looks exactly like the original picture. They're enabled for dual tuners.

Bino

Auditioning
Hey Larry,

So you're saying that unlike the other TIVOs, the DirecTV ones can record the digital signal as it comes in (and not have to convert the analog signal to digital, which is what the MPEG encoder is for)?

Ok, that makes sense, so that's why those TIVOs are cheaper than the equivalent ones for cable, since they don't have to have the MPEG encoder/decoder hardware on them?

Hmm, so any other thoughts on the other PVRs, or is that about it in your experience? I saw the new ReplayTV 4000s, and MAN those look sweet! But the cost for the 320 hr one makes me cringe, well, quite a lot.

BINO

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Theu have two tuners and they do have to decode the MPEG signal. What they do is put the direct-from satellite digital signal on the hard drive without decoding it. It's identical to what the satellite sends when you pull it off the hard drive and decode it. There's only one quality mode...excellent. Maybe they're cheaper because DirecTV have some sort of arrangement with the manufacturers.

The off-cable PVRs have to take the cable signal and convert it to digital to put in on the drive, then reprocess the signal again when you want to play the signal back.

I have no experience at all with the other systems. I'm very, very happy with my Philips & Hughes units.

Ian Montgomerie

Stunt Coordinator
If you are willing to go with DirecTV, then DirecTivo is pretty much impossible to beat. You can get it ultra-cheap (American Satellite off the DirecTV web page will sell you DirectTV + 30 hour DirecTivo + install for 100 bucks). The picture quality is exactly the same as the DirecTV original picture (very good). And it has two tuners to record two shows at once. Now, it can ONLY record from DirecTV, but if DirecTV carries the local channels from your area, this is no longer a disadvantage.

UltimateTV is basically the same thing as DirecTivo, but with web service (big deal, just more $$$), and from a different company. And also, Microsoft laid off a big chunk of their UltimateTV division, so long-term upgrade options are probably less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks