PVR software

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve Weeks, May 27, 2003.

1. Steve Weeks

Steve Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I have been using my HTPC as a PVR, and I am wondering what everyone is using for software for theirs? I am just using the software that came with my video card (AIW 9700) and I would like to know if there are any programs which will edit out commercials, or will fast-forward easier.

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Auditioning

You'll need a hardware based capture card like the Hauppauge PVR-250 or PVR-350, but SageTV is by far the best PC based PVR solution I've ever used.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

You can get software that will work with any tuner/capture card. One popular program is Cyberlink PowerVCR.

4. Steve Weeks

Steve Weeks Stunt Coordinator

The AIW card has a tuner, so I need a capture card on top of that?

5. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Steve:

No. You can get an extra tuner card (preferably an ATI model) if you want picture-in-picture ability.

I think ATI is now offering an updated media center program for 9000 series All-In-Wonders, so you might want to check out their site to see if the upgrade suits your needs.

6. Nate Wh

Nate Wh Agent

My little cheapie LeadTek Winfast XP 2000 Deluxe supports PIP through the included Leadtek software... works great for me and comes with a remote.. not bad for a 50$ tuner card [​IMG]

I've been dabbling in all different kinds of software .. Dscaler, ShowShifter, SnapStream 3.0(beta), Leadtek media software, etc.. Snapstream is looking to be the most promising 3rd party software so far for me.

7. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Nate:

Are you still using Snapstream's software? What are the pros and cons, based on your testing of the beta program?

I'm thinking of ordering Snapstream Personal Video Station 3 online (I have a coupon for $20 off, and they are offering an unconditional 30-day money-back guarantee)

8. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

I've used the WinFast software that comes with the LeadTek card, along with Intervideo's WinDVR...and I'm testing out a little app that was just released recently right now, called ATV2000. It looks pretty nice, and it's a very compact file. I'll post in a sec about how it's going.

I'm also curious as to snapstream 3...I've thought about picking up the beta, but I can wait.

9. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Ehhhh, good software, but bad controls. i can't even figure out how to easily get it to scan and add channels...it's very light (doesn't kill the system) and the picture quality is decent.

Guess I'm going back.

10. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

How exactly do these work? Can you input a dish system? Or do you have to use a card that takes coax cable without the box? Cannot rally find any info on these sites.

Thanks,

C. Ryan