PVR or Panasonic DMR-E80

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Cameron Yee, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm wondering how many have chosen or would choose the Panasonic DMR-E80 DVD recorder with 80GB HD over a ReplayTV or Tivo unit? Based on my own viewing habits and initial impressions, the Panasonic seems to be a better fit. I tend to watch specific shows on the major networks and don't have even basic cable stations. I have a satellite but only to get the WB and UPN, which are only available on cable in my area. For about 100.00 more than a PVR+lifetime subscription I would get the capability of recording/editing to DVD formats that the PVRs don't have. Of course I would lose the program searching functions of the PVRs. Anything else I'm missing that might give PVRs the advantage?

2. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

Well, uh, to be honest...I have both. [​IMG]

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Mark watty

Mark watty Auditioning

I don't know if I should purchase the DVD recorder from panasonic that has a 80Gb Hard drive or another PVR. I'm thinking of getting the Dish network pvr. My thinking is I can use the Panasonic as a unit to record to the hard drive or record to dvd disk? I'm also thinking since I have a satiellete reciever from dish network that I can record to different shows onto the Pansonic dvd recorder. Are people replacing their Vcr's for Dvd recorder or are they replacing their pvr's?[​IMG]

5. Rick Anderson

I don't use my VCR for anything but dubbing old tapes to DVD anymore. Everything that gets recorded gets recorded on either my Replay TV unit in the living room or my HS2's hard drive in the bedroom.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I have both also (actually, the E60 and a ReplayTV). Having both is definitely a plus, but if you want only 1, I'd probably go with the ReplayTV.

If you have a DVD burner in your computer, there are many apps that will download the ReplayTV shows as MPEGs where you can edit them on the computer and burn back to DVD-R.

I've heard lots of complaints about compatibility issues when burning DVD-R's off of the E80's HD. I've also run into the annoying issue about the fact that I can't play my PC burned DVD-RAM discs on the E60 [​IMG] and anything I record on the E60's DVD-RAM disc can't be edited on the computer (because the Pannys burn the movies as VRO's instead of VOB's), so I'm better off recording through my ReplayTV and downloading the MPEG's to do whatever I need to.

7. Rick Anderson

8. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

Same here. I have a Dish Network with PVR and a Panasonic DMRE50. Its a whole new world!

9. Amir_S

Amir_S Auditioning

I have both as well, except a DMR-E100, and it's awesome!