PVR newbie needs advice and answers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NathanP, Feb 7, 2002.

1. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Aug 13, 2001
    Been looking around at some PVR's and really like Tivo.

Thing is, it charges monthly!

Are there any pvr's out there that don't charge monthly?

Maybe I'm mistaken and tivo doesn't charge.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    With TiVo you can either pay a monthly charge or a one-time charge (I believe it's now $250) for the life of the machine.

ReplayTV doesn't charge a monthly fee; instead the cost of the service is built into the cost of the unit, which is generally higher than a comparable TiVo unit. I'm not even sure what Replay units are currently available other than the ReplayTV 4000 series, which require a home network and an Ethernet connection. The 4000s are also quite expensive.

3. Drake

Drake Agent

Feb 5, 2002
    Do you have Directv already? Sounds as though you may, but if not, Dish Network offers a PVR model (501) and they don't charge a monthly fee other than the package subscription price. I've only had the Dish PVR (and Dish programming) for about two weeks, so I'm still new to it. If you buy the unit it's $349. If you subscribe to a Dish Network Home plan, it's a $99 upgrade (after the $49 "activation" fee) with free installation. You also get a second sat unit for another room for free.

One thing that did happen with the Dish PVR model is it locked up on me the other day after I reconfigured my setup (added a new component). I got an error that the multi-dish switch was not functioning and lost picture and sound. I had to reboot the PVR by taking out the smart card and unplugging the unit for a while. The Dish tech folks call it a "hard reboot". Seems to be working fine now. Recorded George Carlin last night.