What's new

PVR newbie looking to buy Tivo receiver but having trouble finding a dealer (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I'm ready to take the step into Tivo, but I'm not really sure where to start. I currently live pretty far from civilization, so I'd like to do my ordering online if at all possible. If you guys think I should try to call a nearby satellite company and buy off of them, let me know if there are any advantages to this.

I've currently got a basic DirecTV setup (RCA dish and receiver), and I'm not sure what components I'll have to upgrade for Tivo. I'm assuming it's only the receiver, but online most of the receivers alone cost more than the package deals with a new satellite dish. And that's another problem; if I do end up buying online, what's the best retailer?

Also, I'm not looking for the top-of-the-line Tivo receiver, but I'd like one with decent storage space and features (preferably supporting Dolby Digital). Any suggestions on both brand and model?

Any help (and any other suggestions that I didn't address in my questions)would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
preferably supporting Dolby Digital
The only "Tivo" models that support DD are the DirecTV PVRs (aka DirecTivo). Right now you can choose among the Hughes, Philips and RCA models which are all made in the same factory and have the same internals, just a different case.

You don't mention whether you want a DirecTivo or a stand alone Tivo. There are advantages and disadvantages with both. Do you get your local channels or national network feeds from DirecTV?

-Robert

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
You don't mention whether you want a DirecTivo or a stand alone Tivo. There are advantages and disadvantages with both. Do you get your local channels or national network feeds from DirecTV?
Robert,

I'm actually not sure which type of Tivo unit I'd like. What do you (or anyone else) recommend? I figured that since I do 100% of my television watching via DirecTv, that would be the way to go. Currently I get my national network feeds from DirecTV. I'll be moving back to civilization in another year, though, and will probably not be getting my local channels via satellite (though I'm not sure about this). So this may be something to consider.

And I'm still unsure as to which online retailer is preferred for these units. Again, thanks for your input.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DirecTivos can only record DirecTV. That is their only disadvantage. Their advantages: they are cheaper to purchase, cheaper monthly fee, dual tuners, Dolby Digital capable, and identical picture to live TV.

As for retailers, since you are an existing D* customer, you don't get any price breaks. Order through DirecTV's web site and use the promotion code FFDVR. It's $159+shipping with free installation.

-Robert

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Robert for the info. Also, if I'm moving in a year or so, should I consider purchasing a non-DirecTV Tivo unit? I know you said that the DirecTV Tivo units only record from DirecTV. Would it be a good idea, both cost-wise and convenience-wise, to purchase a non-D* receiver if there is a chance in the future that I'll be getting my networks from another source? Thanks again for your help.

How's the weather in Southaven? I went to school in Memphis and then moved to Montana a couple of years ago. I'm sure you're sweltering right now!!

StephenL

Second Unit
If you can receive DirecTV at your new location, I would suggest a DirecTV receiver with TiVo. East Glacier, Montana is beautiful -- are you sure you want to move?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll be moving back to civilization in another year, though, and will probably not be getting my local channels via satellite (though I'm not sure about this). So this may be something to consider.
Missing locals or at least network feeds from D* is the big reason not to get a DirecTivo. If you are close to a city that has locals, then you can "move" there.

-Robert

David Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
hi,

robert, i am a hernando, ms htf member and must say it's nice to see another "mid-southerner" on the boards here. and yes, i concur, it is too hot and tomorrow is mow-my-one-acre-yard-with-a-very-small-push-mower-because-i-spend-all-of-my-money-on-home-theater-equipment-rather-than-lawn-implements day. phew! i am tired already. anyway...
my wife and i tried unsuccessfully 4 times today to purchase a directivo open-box unit from 2 bestbuys and 2 circuit citys. it just wasn't meant to be. we had been hlding out, but were in memphis today (and it was my wife's birthday last week) so decided to look and maybe pick one up. the best buy over on winchester had a sign on the display saying open box $219.99 - i asked the sales guy "is this the open box unit, or is this it in the opened-and-resealed box below it here?" he says "that's it in the box." i thanked him and headed to the check out. scanned at $249.99 - we questioned it - she called - they said "we have no open box units, and that's our last directivo in stock" (which was a big ol' lie, cause they had an entire endcap filled with them). we said "no thanks" - but i did go ahead and pick up the dark side of the moon sacd. :) anyway, went to circuit city - they had a very obviously open box unit - $209.99 - no manual, but no prob. made it about halfway through checking out - sales guy goes to get access card - they don't have it. fine. that's 2 lines i've held up. next circuit city, another open box, no card. what are they doing with these cards? best buy again - no open box units - which we were kind of now determined to find, i guess because we couldn't. so now i'm disappointed, my wife's dissapointed...so we're just going to order one and hope these bad omens don't follow us around. really just wanted to vent a bit.

david

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
so we're just going to order one and hope these bad omens don't follow us around
Order from the DirecTV site and use the code FFDVR. It that promo is still going on, you get the D-Tivo for $159+$25shipping with free installation. They will even throw in a switch if needed.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks