What's new

Pvr 721 (1 Viewer)

Jeff P

Agent
I believe this is the new Dish model - Any word on street date and cost. I am thinking about jumping into the Dish scene but hate to have this come out in a few weeks.
Thanks

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Do what I did. Subscribe to the program that gives you a 501 as part of the package (I think it's called Digital PVR or something like that.) Technically, Dish owns the unit (you don't pay for it). And, I'm guessing that once the 721 comes out we will be able to "upgrade" for a nominal fee (once the initial selling frenzy of the 721's subsides.)
I may do this (for the longer recording length) but not for the dual tuners, which I don't need. I'm really looking forward to the rumored 921, which promises HDTV recording as well.
All this is vaporware at this point, and I'm not too concerned with delivery dates for these items. They will come, and when they do, I have an upgrade path.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

DennisHP

Second Unit
I watched a re-run just last night of Dish's "Charlie Chat" that originally aired 9-10-01. They talked about the 721 not being ready yet but that they would talk more about it the next chat next month.

Jeff P

Agent
DishPVR 721: Sleek, Silver & Satellite-Internet Capable
DISH Reveals New Product at Team Summit
The DishPVR 721 was at center stage during the DISH Network Team Summit meeting in Phoenix, Ariz.
Although the DishPVR 501 and 301 were completely upstaged by the new 721, all three products had a lot to offer retailers who were looking for DISH Network's next big products. Mark Jackson, senior vice president for EchoStar Technologies, said, "The DishPVR 721 is way beyond ultimate. It's a satellite receiver with a 300 MHz processor, it's a personal video receiver with two tuners, picture-in-picture and Internet bundling."
The DishPVR 721 allows users to record one movie while watching another. The box also has picture-in-picture options with two tuners and it has the ability to record two live programs at once. The 721 has all the popular digital video recording features, picture-in-picture options with two tuners, ability to record two live programs at once, a portal for interactive TV services, interactive games, e-mail, a larger hard drive for expanded recording and storage capabilities, nine -day electronic program guide, USB-interface and expansion port for the use of future peripherals, UHF/IR remote control, Dolby Digital output, caller-ID and front panel A/B input jacks.
EchoStar is considering the following additional functions of the PVR 721, but EchoStar cannot confirm them at this time: DISH messaging so DISH Network customers can send messages to one another while watching TV, 50-80 gig hard drive for up to 70 hours of digital video recording, optional IR keyboard, weather information featuring mapping and airline delay information, CD-burning capabilities and creating music CDs from the satellite feed.
The 721 has many more options and it will be released some time at the end of this year.
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
yum.gif
icon14.gif

Adrian_N

Agent
Okay, so it was supposed to be released by the end of last year. It's April, what's the latest word?
My current receiver has smearing colors and it has crashed on me numerous times (requiring unplugging the power supply). The receiver is the basic model from several years ago. Something must be going wrong.
Can I wait for the 2-tuner PVR or purchase the current PVR (501?). I might stick with the 501 if not just to be cheaper.
[edit]I meant last year[/edit]

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Okay, so it was supposed to be released by the end of this year. It's April, what's the latest word?
Rumor has it that the 721 is made by Outlaw Audio.
:laugh: :laugh:
(Just kidding.)
Seriously, I don't know what the deal is on the 721. It should be here by now but no word at all. I'm waiting for it to appear so I can move up to a 721 from my 501, mainly for the additional recording time (100? hours instead of 35).

Adrian_N

Agent
Thanks. Do you like the 501? It seems folks here generally like it and can put up with the little "quirks". I'm getting annoyed with my current receiver which will shutoff when changing channels too fast.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm much more pleased with the 501 than I thought I would be (probably because I wasn't expecting too much.) The picture quality is excellent and it's a breeze to use. My VCRs are now gathering dust. My only gripe is that the 35 hours is a bit short once you get hooked. Of course, some might suggest that if you have more than 35 hours backlogged on a PVR you should re-evaluate your priorities.
:laugh:
But it could be a problem on extended vacations.
Anyway, you can dump programs to tape for archival purposes.
Also, HDTV PVR'ing would be nice, but that's probably going to be here some time in the future.
You'll hear all sorts of comments from Tivo units about the expanded search capabilities, etc. and I have no doubt that Tivo is excellent (and more tweak-able). But the 501 was a pleasant surprise, is getting better each time they update the software, and, since they store about 7 days of menu info on the disc, the most versatile of my four E* receivers (the other three being a 6000 and two 301s).
And pausing a live broadcast when the phone rings is a major convenience that I hadn't been expecting.
Hope this helps.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Of all my HT equipment, the only one my SO likes/brags about is the pause/recording features on the DishPlayer and PVR 501.
Robert: Try hitting the last button on the bottom right of the remote. The one labeled "Search". The 501 has finally caught up with the DishPlayer in features. :)

Joe e h

Stunt Coordinator
I to have been waiting to upgrade my Dish Reciever. I have a JVC-4500 I bought in 97. I was planing on holding out for the 721. Now I see that JVC is coming out with a HDTV unit.

One question on the 501 unit, can it record OTA shows feed into it?

Thanks

Joe

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Try hitting the last button on the bottom right of the remote. The one labeled "Search". The 501 has finally caught up with the DishPlayer in features.
Bob,
Yep, I was aware of that one. I like the fact that they keep improving the software of the 501 and new features keep getting added. I also just found out (in a sidebar in the Dish Monthly magazine) that you can skip ahead any number of hours by keying in the number of hours and hitting the BROWSE (right ->) button. For example: key in 72-> and the program guide jumps three days ahead immediately. Yes, the other receivers like the 301 do this as well, but since the 501 stores a week of program guides on the disc you don't have that "downloading program guide from satellite" lag.
Sweet.
Thanks for the heads up.

Adrian_N

Agent
Thaks for the comments. I think I'm interested in getting a PVR501. I've started searching and there doesn't seem to be anything better than Dish's $349 price. If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Perhaps those of you waiting for the 721 will be in luck. As soon as I buy a 501, it should be available. :)

Don Reed

Auditioning
I received the following information from Dish Sales just this morning (it is kind of fun to actually be able to contribute to these discussions rather than just learning from you guys :) ). Hopefully this will be of help.
Dear Mr. Reed,
Thank you for your email. Currently Dish Network does not offer a trade in promotion. We recommend contacting our Return Authorization department at 1-888-220-3474 to check the availability of re-conditioned receivers.
The PVR721 is currently in the testing stages. While a specific release date has not been slated, the release of the DISH PVR 721 has been targeted for May - June 2002. We have no further information regarding the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price or upgrade promotions that may be available. We encourage you to stay tuned to future Charlie Chats and Technical Forums on Channel 101 for future updates. Please refer to the following list of features for the DISH PVR 721.
Combined satellite receiver, personal video recorder with internet capabilities
Two tuners for advanced recording and picture in picture capabilities on any TV
Largest hard drive ever offered in a PVR product for expanded recording and storage of programming
New, advanced user interface
7-day EPG with search
Caller ID with caller history
Software and hardware upgradable
PVR Features
Pause live TV
4X, 15X, 60X, 300X fast forward and reverse
Instant skip forward and skip back
Know at a glance what is recorded with info about each recording - instantly play, delete and protect programs
Program capture - no more "Oops, I forgot to record!"
2-Tuner Features
Picture-in-picture on any TV
Record two live programs at once
Record a live program while watching another live program
Record two live programs while watching a recorded program
Advanced Features
Specially designed universal UHF/IR remote with PIP functions
New IR keyboard with integrated remote control functions (optional)
Records Dolby Digital to the hard drive - perfect for home theater
Optical Dolby Digital output
2 - USB interfaces for other peripherals
Expansion port
Front panel A/V input jacks

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Adrian,
Well, for one thing you can get one for $289 here.
Also, if you are upgrading to a 501, Dish offers a 501 for $199. There are some sign-up commitments, but if the shoe fits, check it out here.
Hope this is of some use.
Let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks