What's new

Puzzled about Upconverting DVD Player (1 Viewer)

jasm

Auditioning
I have seen a few Upconverting HDMI DVD Players about. I' have also seen Upconverting receivers now too.
Do the receivers do the same thing the dvd's do?
What would happen if you hooked an upconverting DVD player to an upconverting receiver? Would it up convert it twice?
ty

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No. Once it is at that resolution, there is nothing to upconvert. While I'm sure both are doing the same thing, my guess is a receiver isn't going to do as good a job as a decent upconverting player.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Agreed. I also try never to route my video through another device if I can avoid it, a straight feed to the monitor is always recommended.

jasm

Auditioning
The salesman to-day tells me you must use HDMI for upconverting, The dvd player I looked at had hdmi and componant video. My tv is componant only.
Is this right?
wont the upconverting work with my system??
ty

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Very few players upconvert over component. Most use DVI or HDMI, since it can be encrypted. Something about licensing terms.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, you'll have to find out if that player specifically is capable of upconverting via component, which as Jeremey mentioned, most do not.

Note also that the term "upconvert" on some receivers is used incorrectly, where most only transcode, or take the signal from other types of connections (s-vid, component, etc...) and take it to DVI/HDMI. There is no actual upconversion of the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks